PDA

View Full Version : TMY2 8 x10

jeroldharter
1-Feb-2012, 22:30
I sent my money to Canham back in September for the second group order of this film .the first order went well. This one is going to overtime and it looks like not many people are buying it as many boxes are needed to comlete the order. Given that this is the only place I know of to get 8X10 TMY2, has everyone abandoned it? If so, for what replacement? I assume HP5?

cdholden
1-Feb-2012, 23:11
Keep in mind that the last TMY order in 8x10 wasn't so long ago. A lot of people stocked up. Fast forward a few months. Chicken Little said the sky was falling and lots of people raced to buy up the last of the Tri-X in the supply pipeline. Freezers are now bulging with yellow boxes. It may take some time to use this stockpiled film and garner interest in another large 8x10 order. By that time, some of those users will have converted to less expensive options.
I'm not trying to be a naysayer, but consider the recent events.

Jan Pedersen
2-Feb-2012, 06:28
Completely agree with Chris. I know that it will be years before i need to order more TMY400-2 and now also being well stocked with TXP that will push the need out even further.

jp
2-Feb-2012, 06:41
cdholden is right. When Kodak announced the change to selling it through Canham instead of retail, I cleaned out B&H's minimal stock of 8x10 tmy2, then placed an order through Canham for more than I needed because I didn't know when the next special order would take place, or if it was a last ditch effort to kill 8x10 and ULF film. Then I bought tri-x 8x10 from B&H before that went special order. All the while we don't know what will happen with Kodak's overall troubles.

I may order next year, but I'm all set for the immediate future.

If you want more people to step up to the next canham order, start posting wonderful images that show off the goodness of 8x10 tmy2, and people will buy it like it's the magic bullet they need.

Drew Wiley
2-Feb-2012, 11:39
TMY is a homerun film which will probably remain highly in demand with 4X5 shooters,
so periodic 8x10 cutting is also likely. I am another personal who bought from multiple
sources, plus joined Canham's first group order. But two group orders back to back
seems to have topped off most folks personal inventory. But as this film gets used, it
will have to be replenished. All film is going to go up as the cost of mfg materials rises
for everyone. Get used to it. But now that Kodak has some breathing room to rethink
marketing policy, the rules of the game might change too. I'm more concerned with the
fate of TMX100, which has much less overall 8X10 demand. TMY400 is marvelous stuff,
and worth the premium price. Just wish they'd package it more realistically, but maybe
putting it 10-per is a way to price-gouge for just the package itself.

marfa boomboom tx
2-Feb-2012, 14:08
the group just doesn't shoot much film.

jeroldharter
2-Feb-2012, 22:43
So clearly you film hoarders have ruined my plan! Seriously, thanks for the feedback.

Out of curiosity, for those of you who use both TMY2 and TriX in 8x10, what makes you choose one over the other?

I ask because I have always used TMax films in various formats. But for one project I used TriX 120 film and liked the look.

vinny
2-Feb-2012, 22:48
tmy is the only film you can rated @400 in pmk. it's also finer grain than other 400 as a films so I can use it in medium format and get fine grained results.

marfa boomboom tx
3-Feb-2012, 07:34
Out of curiosity, for those of you who use both TMY2 and TriX in 8x10, what makes you choose one over the other?

the generic answer: TX for shadows .... TMY for highs... (means easy to get using)

my answer, I use timmy for scanning... almost none, TX for printing ... used to be lots. In the last year I've only shot 5 boxes of 8x10. Have shot more than 500 rolls of 120

jp
3-Feb-2012, 09:37
I know how to get different highlights out of tmy2 via a variety of developing options and can use it for almost anything.

I'll probably use the tri-x for safe artificially lit subjects or outdoor use where highlights are not integral to the image. I'm not saying it's inferior for the purpose, just I haven't enough experience with it compared to tmy2 to make it sufficiently versatile. Or maybe sell it for profit when it becomes unobtainable.

Drew Wiley
3-Feb-2012, 09:44
TMY has a much longer straight line, which means you can get better shadow separation and detail, as well as excellent highlt reproduction. TriX has quite a bit of
toe, which means it is more forgiving of exposure errors and still coming up with something, but to get good shadow separation you need to overexpose it and risk pushing the highs onto the shoulder. Snapshooting is one thing, large format is another. Since we take the time to set up our gear and shoot big expensive film, it's
likely that most of us meter carefully too. But other than that, the look of the two films is very different. TMY has fine grain but excellent edge definition. TriX can look
downright salt-and-pepper gritty.

Jan Pedersen
3-Feb-2012, 09:46
TMY is smooth and works really well with variations in development depending on lighting conditions, also works well with alternative processes.
TXP320 is more gritty maybe due to the film being more grainy but i like the look in the lower zones where the TXP seems to be better at delivering some micro contrast.
In short, TMY for a nice landscape scene, TXP for a gritty industrial scene.

georgl
4-Feb-2012, 15:16
I bought the last 2 boxes of 8x10 TMY2 from my dealer - they didn't even know it was no longer available...
Contacted Kodak - they said there is no distribution problem... :-(
What a shame, the most advanced and in practical terms best (sharpness, grain, latitude, push, tonality) stock is put on special order... Just did 800ASA shots developed in Ultrafin Plus - that kind of quality is not possible with Tri-X, HP5 and even less so with the cheapish Adox or Efke films. IMHO, TMY2 is the very last B&W film stock that should be withdrawn from sale - especially for large format were finer grain is not really necessary.