PDA

View Full Version : Goerz Dagor 19" Lens

Billy Shayka
1-Feb-2012, 20:37
Looking for any info on this lens, for curiosities sake.

Goerz Dagor S/N 396151 (same number front and back)

Other info on the front ring:

f 7.7 FOCUS 19"

I am guessing that this is made in the US, since the focal length isn't in MM. One of a number of old lenses aquired when I took over an old studio. Thanks for any information!

John Kasaian
1-Feb-2012, 21:14
Nice find! Loads of coverage & highly valued by 8x10, 11x14 & even 12x20 guys. Goerz serial numbers/date are listed in the LF Homepage you can access by clicking the blue banner at the top of this page.

Steve Hamley
2-Feb-2012, 09:44
A picture is worth a thousand words...

A 19" f:7.7 Dagor is a nice lens. It should also have more writing, like "Series III NoX" etc.

Cheers, Steve

E. von Hoegh
2-Feb-2012, 11:28
A picture is worth a thousand words...

A 19" f:7.7 Dagor is a nice lens. It should also have more writing, like "Series III NoX" etc.

Cheers, Steve

Not neccesarily, they were marked just as the OP described up to 750,000~

Nice find!

John Schneider
2-Feb-2012, 11:55
In a shutter or a barrel lens? Pictures are nice to include, if only to induce drooling...;)

goamules
2-Feb-2012, 13:28
Not neccesarily, they were marked just as the OP described up to 750,000~

Nice find!

My (pre WWI) 14" Dagor is serial number 220,xxx and reads; "SERIES III No 7 FOCUS 14 IN." then further around the rim; "GOERZ DAGOR F 7.7"

E. von Hoegh
2-Feb-2012, 14:04
My (pre WWI) 14" Dagor is serial number 220,xxx and reads; "SERIES III No 7 FOCUS 14 IN." then further around the rim; "GOERZ DAGOR F 7.7"

Yep. I have 3 or 4 marked like that. But in the range of the OP's number and up, they were marked as he described. No "Series III", no "No ?". They sometimes had the patent # as well, up to about 235,000 or so. Yours should have the patent # if it is 220xxx.

goamules
2-Feb-2012, 14:22
Yep. I have 3 or 4 marked like that. But in the range of the OP's number and up, they were marked as he described. No "Series III", no "No ?". They sometimes had the patent # as well, up to about 235,000 or so. Yours should have the patent # if it is 220xxx.

Oh, from that number UP...I get it now. Yeah, mine has a serial number and a Pat. No. in between the other, alphabetic text.

Leonard Robertson
2-Feb-2012, 16:26
The real value of a 19" Dagor is the enormous coverage, up to 20X24 inches (not cm). See post #6 here: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=242&highlight=20x24+lens
Of course it would be quite usable on any of the "smaller" formats - 11X14, 12X20, 14X17. I would imagine there are ultra-LF guys out there who would love to buy or trade for your lens. 19" Dagors do sell on eBay now and then. I seem to remember a Berlin barrel one within the last few months, but I don't recall the selling price. I suspect around $500 US. It was a really old one, and may have had some issues with the glass. I would think an American 19" in decent condition should sell for a minimum of $600, probably more. I imagine there are online dealers asking 2 or 3 times that price, if they have a 19" in stock. APUG has an ultra-LF forum: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum187/ Searching there may bring up more information.
Goerz still showed the 19" FL in their 1951 catalog, but I wonder what year they actually made the last one?

Len

Daniel Stone
2-Feb-2012, 21:37
one recently sold here on the forum:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=85231&highlight=dagor

The second item is a 19" f/7.7 Goerz Dagor in a Compound shutter. This is a pretty rare lens in this focal length. I'd buy it if I hadn't recently sold my 14x17 camera. The slow speeds are off, so the shutter should get a CLA to work properly. The glass is in great shape. This lens will cover just about anything! Asking price is $1,800.

https://photos-1.dropbox.com/i/xl/V0sXjfKRRL-xqumU-3rrWkt7l35CPkG_nhID0z3MJ3Q/11361902/1325710800/512168e/19-Dagor_1.jpg

Continued below...

Tracy Storer
2-Feb-2012, 21:59
Yeah, $500-$600 is a ridiculously low estimate. When things were hot a couple years ago, a nice clean 19" Dagor was bringing closer to $2K. The longer f/7.7 Dagors, 16.5" and longer, are just not as common as 14" and shorter.
They are not quite as sharp or as contrasty as some "newer" designs, but they are excellent "all-arounders" especially for big negatives for contact printing, exhibiting generous angle of coverage, good sharpness, fairly fast max aperture, and really decent contrast even in uncoated examples owing to the all-cemented design with a minimum of air/glass interfaces.

Leigh
2-Feb-2012, 23:36
I am guessing that this is made in the US, since the focal length isn't in MM.
Not a valid assumption.

I have an 8 1/4" Gold Dot Dagor that was made in Switzerland.

- Leigh

Leonard Robertson
3-Feb-2012, 09:08
Yeah, $500-$600 is a ridiculously low estimate. When things were hot a couple years ago, a nice clean 19" Dagor was bringing closer to $2K. The longer f/7.7 Dagors, 16.5" and longer, are just not as common as 14" and shorter.

I was thinking of revising my $600 upward. I haven't been paying attention to LF on eBay for quite awhile, so I'm obviously thinking in the past. I do believe I saw that ancient Berlin 19" sell on eBay for around $550 or thereabouts. It was cheap enough to somewhat surprise me. It may have had more serious issues with the glass than I remember. I also based my $600 on being in barrel rather than shutter. The OP didn't say which he had, but I was picturing a barrel mount in my head. I have no idea what the price spread might be with/without shutter for these lenses.

What is the newest 19" Dagor you know of?

Len

goamules
3-Feb-2012, 09:47
I've seen several of the F7.7 Dagors (14-19") sell recently for well over $1,000, so there are always a new group of ULF photographers seeking them.

Leonard Robertson
3-Feb-2012, 10:14
I've seen several of the F7.7 Dagors (14-19") sell recently for well over $1,000, so there are always a new group of ULF photographers seeking them.
Do shutter mounted F7.7s seem to sell for a lot more than barrel mount? Are these mostly eBay sales? That is the only place I ever check. I suspect there are more long Dagors being sold on the forums or at ULF gatherings than ever show up there, but don't really know.

Len

Hugo Zhang
3-Feb-2012, 10:30
It seems that only in rare occasions, as least I don't remember that many, that Dagor lenses from 16 1/2" to 19" have been sold below $1,000 in the last 10 years.

I had a chance to purchase a poor man's 19" Dagor not long ago. A goerz lynkeioskop series C No. 8 and it covers my 16x20 with some movement and out-of-focus areas on the ground are just so creamy wide open. :)

John Schneider
3-Feb-2012, 14:37
What is the newest 19" Dagor you know of?

755,xxx, factory-mounted in an Ilex #5

Leonard Robertson
4-Feb-2012, 09:56
755,xxx, factory-mounted in an Ilex #5

John - Thanks for the information. After I posted my question, I went over here to look for a serial number on one of mine:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/classic-experts.html

I found these entries I hadn't seen before:

19" dagor #757427 1938
ser iii 480mm #174429 1904

It would be interesting to know what photographers in the 1930s were buying 19"ers for. 12X20? 11X14?

Len

David Lindquist
4-Feb-2012, 10:06
About a year ago one of the galleries in Santa Fe had a show of photographs of photographers. One was of Brett Weston with his 11 x 14 camera. You could clearly see the engraving on the lens bezel, it was a 19 inch Goerz Dagor. Mounted in a Compound shutter, pretty sure it was a No. 5.
David

David Lindquist
4-Feb-2012, 17:19
About a year ago one of the galleries in Santa Fe had a show of photographs of photographers. One was of Brett Weston with his 11 x 14 camera. You could clearly see the engraving on the lens bezel, it was a 19 inch Goerz Dagor. Mounted in a Compound shutter, pretty sure it was a No. 5.
David

Found my original notes on this. Photograph was done by Richard C. Miller, February 1948.
david

CP Goerz
8-Feb-2012, 08:07
Remember too that the Dagor is convertible(Ansel Adams Frozen Lake and Cliffs), the 19" Dagor can be split to make each cell about a 33".

cosmicexplosion
4-May-2012, 22:34
Remember too that the Dagor is convertible(Ansel Adams Frozen Lake and Cliffs), the 19" Dagor can be split to make each cell about a 33".

Are you able to please expand on how to convert a 19" dagor

Cheers
Abdrew

goamules
5-May-2012, 05:31
Are you able to please expand on how to convert a 19" dagor

Cheers
Abdrew

First, drill three small holes in the front element, then get some Elmers glue, next... Just Kidding. You simply take the front element off and shoot with the rear only.

cosmicexplosion
5-May-2012, 11:04
That had my jaw open and brow furrowed and my eyeballs enlarged.

That's freekn amazing. You may well have just saved me 1200 bucks of bloodletting rubles.

Is it true I keep asking myself ?

It can't be I dreaming like a French maid

Impossiblur!

But really is there any thing wrong with this icture

I am clearly still in hopeful disbelief

Its 3:56 am over here, I just got home after a pretty good night out

And it's good to end on a win

I am making an alter and sticking you on it.

What I really think is painting is so simple compared to photography

You put all your thought into the work not all the mechanical stuff

Just brush paint canvass.

Any way I am just about passed out. Dam iPhones dam dreams!

Murph
6-May-2012, 15:23
This is good information,.

The real value of a 19" Dagor is the enormous coverage, up to 20X24 inches (not cm). See post #6 here: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=242&highlight=20x24+lens
Of course it would be quite usable on any of the "smaller" formats - 11X14, 12X20, 14X17. I would imagine there are ultra-LF guys out there who would love to buy or trade for your lens. 19" Dagors do sell on eBay now and then. I seem to remember a Berlin barrel one within the last few months, but I don't recall the selling price. I suspect around $500 US. It was a really old one, and may have had some issues with the glass. I would think an American 19" in decent condition should sell for a minimum of $600, probably more. I imagine there are online dealers asking 2 or 3 times that price, if they have a 19" in stock. APUG has an ultra-LF forum: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum187/ Searching there may bring up more information.
Goerz still showed the 19" FL in their 1951 catalog, but I wonder what year they actually made the last one?

Len