PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Tripod Bag

Dave Jeffery
1-Feb-2012, 17:54
There are questions about tripods in another thread so here is a cheap tripod bag FWIW.

This idea for a tripod bag was given to me by one of the members here a while ago. I just added the small strap to my setup.

http://www.bigwavedave.tv/TBag.html

jonreid
1-Feb-2012, 19:48
Try also rifle bags on the auction site...

Robert Tilden
1-Feb-2012, 19:55
Like you suggest, I've started using the bag that one of those cheapo folding chairs come in. I think I got the chair as a giveaway somewhere, so the bag was essentially free.

c.d.ewen
1-Feb-2012, 20:31
If you need a bag for a Ries A100 with an A250 head, read this thread. (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=53847)

Charley

Dave Jeffery
2-Feb-2012, 19:02
Try also rifle bags on the auction site...

Pre 9/11 maybe :)

[Police radio cracks] "Sarge, I have an old bearded guy down here taking pictures of the infrastructure with a very powerful camera, Over"

[Sargent] "Is he armed?, Over"

[Patrolman] "Yes, he has a high powered rifle, he looks like Ted Kazynski, and he keeps trying to hide his face with a cloth, Over"

[Sargent] "If he pops his head up again just shoot him and make something up, Read Me?"

[Patrolman] "10 4 Over and Out"

WoodyBoinker
3-Feb-2012, 06:47
:<)

John Kasaian
3-Feb-2012, 08:15
Like you suggest, I've started using the bag that one of those cheapo folding chairs come in. I think I got the chair as a giveaway somewhere, so the bag was essentially free.

Yeah those folding camp chairs eventually give out (perhaps a diet is in order?) But the bags they come in hold up remarkably well so I reuse them for different purposes---my Tiltall rides in a spiffy red & black Coleman bag:D

Ari
3-Feb-2012, 11:58
If the purpose is only to protect the tripod from the elements, I'd go with a garbage bag, the large green/black things. Less chance of getting it stolen that way, too.
But the tripod is one thing I don't go to any length to baby; I bought the one I did so that I could use the crap out of it.

John Kasaian
4-Feb-2012, 22:46
If the purpose is only to protect the tripod from the elements, I'd go with a garbage bag, the large green/black things. Less chance of getting it stolen that way, too.
But the tripod is one thing I don't go to any length to baby; I bought the one I did so that I could use the crap out of it.

I thought the purpose of a tripod bag was to be able to
"sling it over your shoulder like a Continental soldier";)

Jody_S
4-Feb-2012, 23:24
I thought the purpose of a tripod bag was to be able to
"sling it over your shoulder like a Continental soldier";)

Manfrotto/Bogen has/had a strap that attaches with a swivel to the top of the tripod (not the head), and has a loop at the other end you sling around the feet. Nothing extra, doesn't get in the way when the tripod is in use (well, not often), and impossible to lose since it's attached to the tripod. In fact, I don't know how to take it off, since the screw swivels.

Brian Ellis
5-Feb-2012, 09:55
My Feisol tripod came with an unpadded canvas bag that's fine for casual protection from scuffs and nicks, e.g. when the tripod is in the trunk or back seat of a car, or to carry over your shoulder when hiking. But I don't care about scuffs on a tripod, it gets plenty of those just in normal use, and I don't like to carry a tripod over my shoulder. I wouldn't use it for protection from breakage or serious damage, e.g. when traveling by air and checking the tripod since it isn't padded. For that kind of protection I use a Gitzo bag. Not cheap and a little too fancy-looking for my tastes but very well padded and excellent protection from breakage.

Ari
5-Feb-2012, 12:12
Agree with Brian, I don't like to carry a tripod over my shoulder either.
But if I was worried about breakage, I'd get a different tripod.
As it is, I chose aluminum over CF, so maybe that's the worry about breakage he speaks of.

Dave Jeffery
6-Feb-2012, 01:23

If I am carrying the tripod short distances I will carry it over my shoulder.

I use the bag set up for very long hikes where some of the hiking is through thick underbrush. Many hikes are not on open trails and other configurations get caught up on trees and brush. Side slinging the tripod allows me to direct the tripod though the holes in the brush and remove it quickly when needed. The bag provides enough protection if a person is careful.

If I were hiking on open trails I would set my tripod up vertically in my pack, or sling it sideways under my pack, but that is not an option for what I do.

A garbage bag will just get ripped apart by the brush, but I never did state what I used the bag for.

If there is a better configuration that someone knows of please let me know.

Thanks!

John Kasaian
6-Feb-2012, 10:14
Do not protect your tripods from scratches! Scratches are badges of honor for LF tripods as well as a way to forstall the onset dementia, for during those times when the light is all wrong, you can sit on a rock or stump whilst out in the field and let your tripod assist in your mental exercises. Remember those tooth marks? The one the grizzly made in Yellowstone? What about the bent panning handle---that took a dive off the Mist Trail in YNP? The bullet hole courtesy of The Shining Path in Peru? Termite damage from that trip to the Serengetti?
Good times. Good times ;)

Preston
6-Feb-2012, 11:26
Do not protect your tripods from scratches! Scratches are badges of honor for LF tripods as well as a way to forstall the onset dementia, for during those times when the light is all wrong, you can sit on a rock or stump whilst out in the field and let your tripod assist in your mental exercises. Remember those tooth marks? The one the grizzly made in Yellowstone? What about the bent panning handle---that took a dive off the Mist Trail in YNP? The bullet hole courtesy of The Shining Path in Peru? Termite damage from that trip to the Serengetti?
Good times. Good times ;)

I like your attitude, John! Damn the torpedoes! Full speed ahead! :)

--P

johnsey
6-Feb-2012, 15:52
Nice to see I am not the only one putting one of these folding chair bags to good use as a tripod bag. The bag goes everywhere with my tripod & head not only do I use it to carry it hiking but it protects anything I may bang by tripod into while transporting it in the truck or camper and even storing it at home. I should mention I do use a Gitzo 410 and a Manfrotto 3047 Head so...it does have some weight behind it.

I didn't just stop at finding a bag the right size and durability.... I put a foam lining in the bag that fits snug around it. I mad an additional padded draw string bag for the pan head to be collapsed down into to avoid the two banging together. And I added a small zipper pouch to the outside of the bag.

Dave Jeffery
9-Feb-2012, 03:51
Do not protect your tripods from scratches! Scratches are badges of honor for LF tripods as well

Another BIG concern about tripod bags is color coordination! Sometimes the colors just clash with my hiking ensemble!

But, I certainly wouldn't want scratch marks on my tripod from days like the one where the big icky bug flew so close by me that I threw down all my gear and ran back to the car.

:eek:

Geraldine Powell
9-Feb-2012, 07:08
I use a bag for holding an exercise mat. Walmart for about $10.00 . It is just the right size, and I like that it does not look like anything expensive in the backseat of my car.

cdholden
9-Feb-2012, 07:32
But if I was worried about breakage, I'd get a different tripod.
As it is, I chose aluminum over CF, so maybe that's the worry about breakage he speaks of.

Ari,
If your dislike in shoulder carrying is due to weight/comfort, check out Ebay item #360200559245 from user "procameragear". I got a set of these pads for my tripod legs and it makes a world of difference. Not only for comfort, but it probably saved a scratch or two on the carbon fiber last weekend when I slid down some rocks. My shoes just didn't grip like I had hoped. Fortunately, it was a controlled slide and no people or camera gear were injured. Bonus: my daughter enjoyed the show.

Chris

Jim Galli
9-Feb-2012, 07:49
Speaking of camp gear, when the wind catches your brother-in-law's easy up and blows it to bits and he crumples up what's left and chucks it in the dumpster, take the nice bag it came in with the little rolly wheels if you've got the big A100 Ries.