PDA

View Full Version : Is there a universal "smile" symbol?

James Phillips
19-Nov-2003, 07:29
Occasionally when I wish to post a reply on this forum I sometimes wish to add a "tonque in cheek" comment or perhaps a light hearted quip. Unfortunatley I am always concerned that my words may be mis-interpeted and lead to "hard" feelings when that was not my intention.

So I ask all of you. Is there a universal accepted method for indicating a light and friendly response on a forum such as this?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Gene M
19-Nov-2003, 07:37
I hate emoticons but here are two that indicate lightheartedness.

:-) ;-)

Bob._3483
19-Nov-2003, 08:02
... and then there is the classic <g> or <grin> from way back when the Internet was knee-high to a router box.....

Mark_3632
19-Nov-2003, 09:05
Go here.

http://www.windweaver.com/emoticon.htm

seems to be a veritable butt ton of these sites around

David R Munson
19-Nov-2003, 09:13
Oh emoticons, how varied thou art. There's got to be a few thousand different incarnations of these things, ranging from things like :-) to little gif images like this fella here - http://www.davidrmunson.com/temp/eek.gif But yeah, enough of that. Probably the easiest way to add a bit of nuance to a comment you don't want taken too seriously is really just to use :-) and ;-). I used to have major issues with the use of emoticons, but until a better way comes along to add a little non-verbal essence to written text on the web, it seems we'll just have to put up with them. But while we're on the subject, a few of my favorites...

o_o the text version of that little yellow gif
o_O raised eyebrow
^_^ happy (yes, I know it's stupid)

Emoticons seem to be fair game overall, even in a generally sophisticated forum such as this. And just as long as we don't start sp34k1ng l337, I think we'll be fine...

Alan Davenport
19-Nov-2003, 11:30
:) or :o) = Smile

:oD = Laughing out loud

:o( = Sad

Turn your head sideways to see the expressions.

Jon_2416
19-Nov-2003, 15:12
:P

Tongue out...

dave bulmer
20-Nov-2003, 11:38
:ox

How'd like my new bow tie?

dave

Paul Coppin
13-May-2006, 18:13
: )~ raspberry

Scott Fleming
13-May-2006, 18:42
I've always liked this one.

#%^{)>

Cross eyed guy with a bad toupe, a moustache and a beard is happy.

Tom Westbrook
14-May-2006, 08:39
For this board you can select the "Smilies (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/misc.php?do=showsmilies)" link near the bottom of the page when you're composing a message. It show the text you type and the result after you post (you can use preview in the advanced composer to check out the effect).

Bob Gentile
14-May-2006, 09:17
I've always liked this one.

#%^{)>

Cross eyed guy with a bad toupe, a moustache and a beard is happy.
LMAO! Never saw that one before.

Scott Fleming
14-May-2006, 10:23
LMAO! Never saw that one before.

Hey! I like you already. =))

Bob Fowler
14-May-2006, 14:13
... and then there is the classic <g> or <grin> from way back when the Internet was knee-high to a router box.....

I just measured my router, knee-high would be about 3/8"!