PDA

View Full Version : how to take apart heliar 360mm?

originalphoto
1-Feb-2012, 06:51
I bought heliar 360mm recently and its number is 12XXXX which should be made in 1913. I need to clear glasses since I can see some haze. It is no problem to take off back part. The barrel has been repainted so front part could not be taken off easily. How I could take front part off to allow me to clean inner surfaces of glasses?

alex from holland
1-Feb-2012, 07:21
take of the back glass, open the aparture full and just clean the front glass from the inside.
;)

originalphoto
1-Feb-2012, 07:26
I did this way, but there are still two surfaces that I could not touch by this way.

Louis Pacilla
1-Feb-2012, 07:42
It should come apart but you may need to use a bit of lighter fluid on the front threads to break up the paint that may have leaked into the the front cells threads.

You will want to apply a little around the front threads let it soak in a bit then reapply. Let soak in awhile (5-10 minutes)then use rubber pads on barrel and the other on front group. Get a good grip and give a good try at separating the front cell from the barrel.

If it does not work the 1st time don't give up just repeat until the threads break.

After or if you get it apart You will want to clean both barrel and cell threads with lighter fluid before you put the lens back together.

Because of the lighter fluid on the threads will probably remove some of the paint off the barrel so you may need to repaint the barrel. Remember,if you repaint barrel to tape off threads of cell and barrel. This way you will not run into the same trouble again.

Hope this helps.

BTW- I'm sure there are other methods that may work as well or better. This is just one possible solution.

alex from holland
1-Feb-2012, 07:46
you can also try it this way: http://collodion-art.blogspot.com/2011/08/how-to-unscrew-stuck-lens-element.html

originalphoto
1-Feb-2012, 07:51
thanks guys I will try it when I get my 2nd rubber pads. thanks

William Whitaker
1-Feb-2012, 17:37
:eek: