PDA

View Full Version : Films in Fridge, where to put!

Dan95
1-Feb-2012, 06:23
Hi,

I wonder whether putting films in the freezer, would make any difference vs putting it in the cooler. ( Freezer top, cooler bottom )

Wouldnt the lower temp of the freezer, result in a lower rate of reaction ? So its better ?

Ive been storing mine in the cooler. With the recent price hike of Tri X 100ft in Malaysia, thinking of getting 10 Bulk Rolls.

Thanks

Doremus Scudder
1-Feb-2012, 08:27
Freezing film is fine for long-term storage. Many believe it will hold the film fresh longer. In your high-humidity situation, I would only freeze film in its original factory packaging (not opened tins, etc.) and put them in plastic freezer bags first. Remember to let them warm up to room temperature before opening or you risk condensation forming on the film (if it's as humid there as I think, I'd let a bulk roll warm up at least overnight before opening).

After you have an open can, freezing may not be the best option. Store it in the refrigerator section (above freezing) in a plastic bag. Again, make sure to warm it up to room temperature before opening the can.

Best,

Doremus

BrianShaw
1-Feb-2012, 08:45
I don't freeze film and have never really seen convincing evidence (ither than popular opinion) that freezing film is more beneficial than refrigeration. I refrigerate most of my film for long-term storage. As mentioned above, keeping film in original packaging and air-tight bags seems a good idea, and I do that religiously. In addition to humidity it also protects the film from the inevitable food spillage if in a refrigerator that is not dedicated to film storage. I also heed the advice (more often than not) of warming up at room temperature to avoid condensation.

John Kasaian
1-Feb-2012, 09:08
A stack of frozen film concealed a turkey in my freezer for well over a year. This turkey eventually became the pin hole turkey cam and that was an epoch disaster on a scale which even Hollywood's digitalized finest couldn't do justice.
Lesson learned: Be very careful about what you keep in your freezer :eek: ;)

BrianShaw
1-Feb-2012, 09:12
Out of morbid curiousity... which end of the turkey had the pinhole?

Dan95
2-Feb-2012, 01:01
'Many believe it will hold the film fresh longer. '

Just bought 60 rolls of Tri X 400 in 135 format. Though I only shoot like 20 rolls a year!
Am still seeling stuff to fund a Dorff!

jnantz
22-Nov-2023, 06:46
A stack of frozen film concealed a turkey in my freezer for well over a year. This turkey eventually became the pin hole turkey cam and that was an epoch disaster on a scale which even Hollywood's digitalized finest couldn't do justice.

John. I hope you made another camera this year, took some photographs and ate the evidence! :). happy thanksgiving !

Fred L
22-Nov-2023, 07:41

please tell me you have photos of the turkey cam !!!!!!

paulbarden
22-Nov-2023, 07:59
There is no compelling reason to freeze film for long term storage; the fridge is perfectly adequate.
If we were talking about color films, then freezing would be better if you intended on keeping it past it's stale date.

fotopfw
22-Nov-2023, 08:37
I put once Polaroid film in the freezer, that definitely wasn't a bright idea

jnantz
22-Nov-2023, 13:05
There is no compelling reason to freeze film for long term storage; the fridge is perfectly adequate.
If we were talking about color films, then freezing would be better if you intended on keeping it past it's stale date.

any film in the freezer might not be a good idea, unless you have a very old freezer
https://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?175250-10-year-old-film-usability&p=1696892&viewfull=1#post1696892

( post 25 )

Alan Klein
22-Nov-2023, 15:20
My freezer runs down to -9F at times. Is there any limit on how cold you can go?

willwilson
22-Nov-2023, 17:45
I store large amounts of film frozen. You just never know and I want to be able to shoot what I want to shoot.

I use a small chest freezer, fairly new, with no defrost cycle. I store in silicone bags with a desiccant pack or two. Plastic bags are not perfect. Works great no issues. I cycle through my inventory FIFO. All BW, no color in storage.

One day there will be no LF film. No one should be surprised when this happens. There will be many that are unprepared.

jnantz
23-Nov-2023, 05:49
One day there will be no LF film. No one should be surprised when this happens. There will be many that are unprepared.

exactly, that's why I make my own emulsion and coat things by hand and sometimes use digital negatives, and in the past IDK 10-15 years or more
about 1/3 to 1/2 of my posts are me encouraging others to do the same ... it's almost 1902 all over again, we've already got the rebirth of empires
opium wars, legal absinth, ... the rest will follow.

knjkrock
23-Nov-2023, 06:37
Is there an optimal temperature for cold storing film?