PDA

View Full Version : What have I bought?

emh
31-Jan-2012, 11:40
I've been wanting to try vintage lenses for awhile, and just purchased this one.
The lens says Faredrite 6 1/2 x 8 1/2 Rapid Rectilinear. I plan on using it on my 5x7. Does anyone know how old it is? Any other info would be appreciated, too.

OldCrow
7-Feb-2012, 02:58
Looks like a standard rebranded whole plate RR from the turn of the century or so. Many resellers bought from large manufacturers and put their names on it.

Steven Tribe
7-Feb-2012, 03:15
This was a budget lens if it is as late as 1900 as they were also available with a normal iris by that date. It looks very much like the Perken, Son and Rayment "Optimus" range. You should check it is the F8 type (focal length divided by the lens opening), as the portable (F16) RR was also popular. RR's are made to be used at F11 and down, so you will have great fun in making some Waterhouse stops for this! Coverage at small stops will be more than the full plate size!

emh
8-Feb-2012, 17:55
Thanks for the info. I'm looking forward to getting it on a board, and trying it out.

cyrus
8-Feb-2012, 21:13
ooh! I like this idea of buying random stuff on ebay and then trying to figure out what the heck it is! ;)

emh
9-Feb-2012, 17:27
Cyrus- I knew what it was, and knew it would cover 5x7. I just didn't know the age, and was curious. I've been shooting large format for over 35 years, so I didn't purchase it blindly. And, for $32.00, I didn't think it was much of a risk.