PDA

View Full Version : Decade old RDP II and III

Vascilli
31-Jan-2012, 11:30
So I picked up 2 boxes of RDP II and a box of RDP III (8x10, 50 sheets) a few days ago. They're dated between 1997 and 2001. What precautions should I take when shooting it as opposed to fresh stuff?

vinny
31-Jan-2012, 11:46
none, as long as it was always frozen. I've been shooting rvp and fuji 100d lately from 1993 and I can't tell it from the new stuff. If yours wasn't always frozen, it's a gamble but likely only a bit of base fog that'll be easily fixable in photoshop.

Vascilli
31-Jan-2012, 12:10
I have no clue as to the history. But it was $10/box so I figure as long as they didn't store it in an oven I'll be okay. ($9 to process will still hurt) I passed over a box of tungsten balance and regretted it once I figured it would be fun for night photos. Ah, well I think I did well enough.

vinny
31-Jan-2012, 12:27
cut a sheet to 4x5, cheaper for tests.
I got a steal on some 50 sheet kodak E100s 8x10 from Freestyle once $20/box. I bought all they had.

Drew Wiley
31-Jan-2012, 12:46
If it's been frozen or properly refrigerated it's probably fine. When it starts getting too
old the first symptom is a tendency to crossover in very upper end of the scale. Later
on you lose a little vibrancy or saturation, but otherwise probably useable. This is
basically tungsten-balanced old-style ASTIA. Good stuff, and you can easily filter it
for daylight shooting too. You might have won big on this gamble.

Sal Santamaura
31-Jan-2012, 13:27
So I picked up 2 boxes of RDP II and a box of RDP III (8x10, 50 sheets)...

...This is basically tungsten-balanced old-style ASTIA...??? It's daylight balanced, not tungsten. Provia 100 and 100F.

Drew Wiley
31-Jan-2012, 14:16
Oh, maybe I've gotten the codes scrambled in my head, Sal ... yeah, the tungsten dupe film would have been CDU... you're right. Thanks. So no need to filter. Same
issues with aging. I bought quite a bit of outdated 8x10 Provia at one time to fool around with. Loved the older II style because you could pull process it better than
just about any other chrome film. Once it was thawed it did age faster than fresh film,
but what the heck, I got a lot of good shots economically. The tiny bit of highlight
crossover near the end of the batch could be controlled in printing just with a highlight
mask, so basically, the film was perfectly good for general shooting, and I'm sure I bought it more outdated than the example here. Guess I'm confusing it with the big
batch of outdated 8x10 CDU II I've still got in the freezer, which might or might not
be good.