PDA

View Full Version : Seal 210 dry mount press. Heavy!!!!

Frank_E
30-Jan-2012, 20:53
here is an off the wall question

there is a used seal 210 dry mount press available locally for a reasonable price
they are very heavy, specs say 75 pounds
I will not be able to load and unload this myself into a sedan
getting help is not an option for a variety of reasons (need to move this several times, because the darkroom wont be built for a while....)
looking at the picture of the unit on line suggests that one might be able to disassemble this into several pieces (ie separate the top and bottom plattens) in order to make the weight more manageable. Is this a crazy idea? Do you know if anyone has tried this before?

thanks for your help

ic-racer
30-Jan-2012, 21:06
The older 200 comes apart. I had to dissasemble mine to get it from my trunk to the darkroom. ( thread on restoration of said unit (http://www.apug.org/forums/forum43/83644-rebuilding-seal-200-press.html) )

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v670/ic-racer/2012/SealParts1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v670/ic-racer/2012/SealParts2.jpg

jp
30-Jan-2012, 21:23
It'd be easier to use old fashion (like pyramid building) tech to take the weight off your back instead of disassembling it. I've moved large/heavy shop equipment in and out of my hatchback that would normally mess my back up for sure. I use a wood plank to slide it in and out of the back of the car so I don't have to lift it in or out. A dolly or cart/wagon is good for moving things to/from the car.

Mark Woods
30-Jan-2012, 21:29
I agree with jp498. The bigger question is putting it back together so it works well. I have one and really like it. It's great for flattening prints too.

mdm
30-Jan-2012, 22:04
I have a seal commercial 210M, whatever that is, and its no problem really for me alone to lift it. Maybe you get different sizes though, maybe you are old and too weak. For a reasonably normal male it should not be a major issue.

John Kasaian
30-Jan-2012, 23:36
Do you know any big high school boys? If there is a college nearby you can hire a student for an hour pretty cheap. Likewise you can often find help through your church or the Boy Scouts if you're in a bind (Boy Scouts always appreciate pizza!) Even a nieghbor shouldn't mind unloading it for you if the seller will load it in your sedan.
As far as taking it apart, yes you certainly can. I took one (a 200) apart to attempt to dress the platen. It takes a little time and the parts themselves are pretty heavy and then you'll have to reassemble it.
My advice:
Buy the pizza!:D

Pawlowski6132
31-Jan-2012, 04:27
Where in Toronto? When?

Winger
31-Jan-2012, 17:05
I have a commercial 200 and I carried it from one car to the apartment I was in (second floor), then from there to the truck to move to PA, then from that truck to my current darkroom in the basement. All those who know me know I'm far from a muscle bound individual. The hardest part was that it's not even in its weight and is pretty wide. My husband picked it up at one point and was pretty surprised I could carry it. I don't know if the 210 is bigger, though.

SamReeves
31-Jan-2012, 17:25
I can lift a Jumbo 160, but not a 200! Weakling I am.

Roger Thoms
31-Jan-2012, 18:06
Good luck with you purchase, do let us know how you end up getting it home. I have a 200 and can carry the it no problem, but it is heavy. It certainly wouldn't hurt to have some help. Short of getting help I would not hesitate to partially disassemble it. Definitely bring some ziplock bags for the small parts. Wouldn't hurt to take a couple pictures before you take it apart or just refer to ic-racers posts on the Seal 200 restoration.

Roger

ROL
31-Jan-2012, 18:30
Because of my sterling character and desire only to help, I took a look at my 210M. It disassembles into several easily manageable pieces, including separating the heavy platens. It can be done simply with a standard socket set or a couple of crescent wrenches in 15 - 20 minutes, tops. There's no trick to reassembly if you don't remove the top locking pressure nuts – but they'll probably have to be readjusted anyway.

John Koehrer
31-Jan-2012, 19:47
Into the car. You and the seller each grab a side and put it n the trunk.
Out of the car? You'e going to need to find someone for the other side.
They're awkward and unbalanced but not too bad. I am personally familiar with being unbalanced. =)

Fred L
31-Jan-2012, 20:03
nice price and a new unti ;)

I'd put it on a cart for transport if it were me. Thinking of those folding handcarts , two wheelers like Lee Valley sells.

and I probably wouldn't be dis-assembling if it were me, cause some important part would get lost ;)

Frank_E
2-Feb-2012, 13:59
here's the update
I picked it up from the seller and it is now in the trunk of my car

there is no problem lifting these with two people
(the seller and I placed it in the trunk of my car)
if worst comes to worst I may try lifting it out myself
but would prefer not to
have had a shoulder and back problem so need to be careful
I used to think nothing of "over doing it" by trying something like
this but have unfortunately recently learned the consequences the hard way
(will be turning 65 next week....)

if I can't find a neighbour to help me lift it out tonight
(which I expect will not be a problem)
then I may end up trying to lift it myself....

the unit is apparently 30 years old (the older version of the Seal 210)
but it looks like new and works well

the seller is a retired professional photographer who hasn't done darkroom
work in many years

I am really pleased....
have been waiting for one to come up on Craigslist for some time now
they are few and far between....

I probably could have disassembled it if I really had to
the main challenge is not the taking it appart it is having the tool
to remove the multiple "C clips" and then getting them back on without breaking them

Robert Hall
2-Feb-2012, 14:49
A bit late, but I took one apart in half and sent it to my friend in Spain, shipped from Utah.

He seems pleased with it. :)

John Kasaian
2-Feb-2012, 19:43
Congratulations, Frank!:)