PDA

View Full Version : Delta 100 4X5 first time....

John Conway
30-Jan-2012, 14:50
Picked up a box of Ilford Delta 100 4x5 film from K&M down on broadway in Manhattan today.It's been a while since the last time I stopped in. Man, I couldn't believe how they cut down on the film stock. Not many choices. But hey, they had Delta, so I figured I'd give it a try. Any advice on this film will be appreciated. I am going to do some portraiture, both natural light and floods, and I will use it for a special project photographing a barn that a good friend spent two years restoring. I want to make him a very special picture of his barn, with dark skies and puffy clouds. I will use my 121 super angulon because I know there will be a need for considerable front rise. I'm looking for snappy contrast with this film.

John Conway
30-Jan-2012, 15:15
I have not opened a box of Ilford in a while. I assume they still package it the same, two boxes with the plastic wrapping?

Brian Ellis
30-Jan-2012, 15:18
I've never used Delta 100 but Don Kirby recently sent an email message to his former workshop participants and others that might be helpful to you. He said that his wife has used it for years with good results and that he recently tried some with seemingly good results. He rated it at 100, placed the darkest important shadows on Zone IV, and processed it in a JOBO tank with Xtol 1:2 for the same times as he processes TMax 100.

Drew Wiley
30-Jan-2012, 17:19
I've always found Ilford's speed rating to be rather optimisitic. I'd probably start at ASA
50 and go from there. Depends on the specific developer of course. Delta has quite a
toe on it, so you need plenty of exposure if you're going to get good shadow separation. I certainly wouldn't call it a snappy film as far as deep shadows are converned, though the upswept curve gives nice separation of the highlights and upper midtones.

Greg Blank
30-Jan-2012, 17:31
Film speed depends on developer. Which do you wish to process with? I have used Delta 100 for more than fifteen years.

Eric Biggerstaff
30-Jan-2012, 18:33
Delta 100 is my primary film, I rate it at 100ASA and develop it in Rodinal 1+50 in a Jobo. Film speed is dependent on developer, developing method and your meter so testing is a good idea. It is a very nice film with creamy whites, it takes a bit to get used too but I find it works well for most of what I like to photograph.

John Conway
30-Jan-2012, 20:10
It is nice to hear so much positive response about Delta film. I also like the fact that the positive feedback comes from people who have used the film for a long time.Creamy whites also sounds nice. As far as developers, it will be D76 or Rodinal, for now.

Lenny Eiger
31-Jan-2012, 12:09
It is nice to hear so much positive response about Delta film. I also like the fact that the positive feedback comes from people who have used the film for a long time.Creamy whites also sounds nice. As far as developers, it will be D76 or Rodinal, for now.

It depends on what you are doing with it, of course. I love my Delta! I think its great film.

I soup it in Xtol 1:1 in a Jobo. I also think that Pyro is also excellent. Personally I don't think that Rodinal or D-76 are excellent. Rodinal is a special use type developer, which will articulate the grain. If that is what you like, then its perfect. D-76 is just an old basic developer, with too much solvent action against the more modern Xtol. Same with HC-110.

I'd go with Xtol or Pyro....

Lenny

Drew Wiley
31-Jan-2012, 12:12
Pyro does give wonderful highlight control with Delta - a very nice combination for high key subjects.

John Conway
31-Jan-2012, 14:14
Thanks for the tips on developers. I need all the advice I can get on the darkroom issue.

Robert Skeoch
1-Feb-2012, 07:06
I use it at ISO 50 or 30 depending on the contrast. I process in ID-II 1:3 in a rolling drum. Happy with the results.

mcfactor
1-Feb-2012, 16:44
I love Delta 100, the tones are beautiful and it is really sharp. I have been processing 8x10 sheets rated at iso 64 in WD2D+ with great results, most of the images for this project were shot on Delta (not that you can tell too much from the screen): http://noahmclaurine.com/culture-of-rememberance.html

John Conway
1-Feb-2012, 17:00
Thanks for sharing the images of the project done on Delta film. I was just thinking about 8X10 today. I will most likely be working with the 8X10 Delta as well. Great images on the project.