PDA

View Full Version : Any Syncro Compur experts in DK?

soeren
30-Jan-2012, 00:17
Had a look in a box of some of my LF stuff and found my 90mm f/8 angulon left inthere because the shutter stopped working. What to do? reshutter the lensget another lens or try to repair the shutter? Since it is not much good in front of my sinar/copal shutter (wont go to infinity) I have not much to loos trying to fix the shutter problem but what to do? It will cock (well sort of, like not all the way at least thats how it feels) and click but the blades arent moving.
best regards

Emmanuel BIGLER
30-Jan-2012, 03:07
Hello from France

I do not have any address for a repair technician in Denmark, but you can try those who maintain the Hasselblad 500 series and Rolleiflex TLR camera, both medium format camera that have been equipped with Synchro Compur shutters for decades, most of them continue to work faithfully if properly serviced.
You'll find a list here, Rollei-related including addresses in Sweden, the Netherlands, and Germany.
I would be surprised if there was no Hasselblad or Rolleiflex skilled technician in Denmark !
http://rolleigraphy.org/rolleiflex_service.htm

Classical Hasselblad C-lenses use a synchro-compur N°0 shutter (from 1956 up to 1982, after that, a Prontor CF was used); Rolleiflex TLR cameras used ether the size-00 or size-0 compur shutter (from 1929 up to ~ 1990, after that a Japanese Copal was used).

I have many lenses fitted with Synchro Compur shutters and I would never hesitate to have them cleaned, lub'ed and adjusted. This kind of mechanical shutter is designed to be serviced regularly. Usually what happens after several years not being used is that the tiny amount of oil in the escapement of slow speeds becomes sticky. The most critical part that should be properly cleaned and carefully re-lubricated is around the oscillating palette.
Servicing a mechanical leaf shutter is something I've never done myslef, I do not want to take the risk of spreading oil on the shutter blades.

A general rule valid for servicing mechanical watches (I live in the heart of the Swiss-French watchmaking country), valid also for Compurs, is that you should never attempt to re-lubricate a dirty mechanism. The escapement should be totally cleaned to remove old sticky oil, and should be carefully and scarcely re-lubricated on critical pivots with the proper watch oil and dedicated oiling tool.
This is quite delicate, a good watchmaker however, to whom you supply the service manual of the Compur, should have the required skills.
So if you have the skills yourself, and want to try it alone, you should at least get a copy of the Synchro Compur shutter service manual available on the 'net from various sources.

Ole Tjugen
30-Jan-2012, 03:41
A Compur Service Manual will show you how to disassemble the shutter, and how to put it back together again. It will also show you why you shouldn't attempt to lube it yourself, it lists four different lubricants to be used in very tiny amounts in very precise spots.

Fortunately most shutters run as well without lube as with, and far better than with the wrong lube in the wrong place. It's not that hard to clean these old things well enough that they will continue to run for another 50 years or so.

BrianShaw
30-Jan-2012, 07:25
.. it lists four different lubricants to be used in very tiny amounts in very precise spots.

Fortunately most shutters run as well without lube as with, and far better than with the wrong lube in the wrong place. ..

I have had that experience with other shutters but not the synchro compur -- they seem to love their lube. The original specs for 3 or more types of oil are fairly archaic at this point. Two types of lubricant are generaly sufficient -- a light oil and a non-spreading grease. There are many watch and clock suppliers who supply such lubricants on the internet.

soeren
30-Jan-2012, 12:58
Thanks guys. I think I'll have a go at it and try to fix it myself
Ole, Where can I find that manual?
Best regards