PDA

View Full Version : Sinar groundglass

Tristan Joyce
29-Jan-2012, 09:31
I managed to break the groundglass on my Sinar F2 earlier today. A bummer, as I've booked a long weekend next weekend to explore an area new to me. However, I've replaced it temporarily with one from a Toyo, and ordered one from a Chinese supplier on ebay. My question, though, is whether there is any focus shift that can or will occur, and if so, what adjustment if any I can make?

Ari
29-Jan-2012, 09:37
Yes it can occur if you're not careful.
Search the forum posts for how to avoid or correct focus shift.
Good luck, it's a pain, but a necessary one.

ic-racer
29-Jan-2012, 10:01
If the frosted surface is fixed at the same position as the other glass, it should be OK.

William Whitaker
29-Jan-2012, 11:10
When you remove your broken ground glass, check to see if there are any small shims under it at the edge. If so, you'll want to reuse those to place the new glass in the correct plane.

Or did you already remove the broken glass?

Tristan Joyce
29-Jan-2012, 11:21
Thanks for the replies. I've already replaced the broken glass with the groundglass from the Toyo - there weren't any shims, just a couple of rubber strips under the screw catches. I reckon I should be OK as the frosted surface should be in exactly the same plane as before, but I guess the only real way to check is to take a couple of test negatives.

Bob McCarthy
30-Jan-2012, 09:12
Your OK, Sinar has finished machined the gg position and no shims are required. Only way to screw up is to put the frosted side out. It should go on side towards lens.

bob