PDA

View Full Version : Why doesn't Shen Hao make an 8x10-4x5 reducing back?

alharding
28-Jan-2012, 11:30
I've been wondering this for a bit. I asked them via email before and they said there wasn't much of a demand. They make lots of Other sizes just not this one.I'm wondering I'd there's anyone out there that might also find this puzzling. I'd like one so I could test exposures with Fuji instant film or maybe just carry one camera around on shoots instead of 2.
Any ideas/suggestions?
Al

E. von Hoegh
28-Jan-2012, 11:35
There must be a back out there that can be adapted.

Steve Hamley
28-Jan-2012, 22:58
Welcome to LF. Like all photography, it's about solving problems; image, film, equipment, etc.

Cheers, Steve

Oren Grad
28-Jan-2012, 23:22
If you're not comfortable doing your own woodworking (I'm not!), making a reducing back out of an existing 4x5 back should be a straightforward task for someone like Richard Ritter.

John Bowen
29-Jan-2012, 06:49
No OEM part...... that's why God created Richard Ritter!
Give him a call. He can fix you up with one.

jumanji
29-Jan-2012, 10:07
You did buy a 8x10 camera from them and they dont make 8x10 to 4x5 reducing back... so now you have to buy a 4x5 camera more from them :D.

Jim Noel
29-Jan-2012, 15:02
I've been wondering this for a bit. I asked them via email before and they said there wasn't much of a demand. They make lots of Other sizes just not this one.I'm wondering I'd there's anyone out there that might also find this puzzling. I'd like one so I could test exposures with Fuji instant film or maybe just carry one camera around on shoots instead of 2.
Any ideas/suggestions?
Al

Ask them!

John Koehrer
29-Jan-2012, 15:19
Ask them!

He already did. Their answer: lack of demand.

2nd sentence of OP

alharding
29-Jan-2012, 21:18
I actually have a 4x5 from them too, the PTB. Its great. I honestly couldn't give higher marks to either camera. The only real reason for the back might be a little silly. I'm trying to drastically reduce the amount of 8x10 film I shoot to get the kinds of effects I'm looking for. I'm hoping that some fuji instant pack film on a 4x5 back although won't have the same exact composition, will give an accurate exposure estimate. When 4x5 Polaroid film was readily available, I used a lot of it and it was super helpful.