PDA

View Full Version : 5x7 Transparency Film

Edgar Praus
17-Nov-2003, 13:33
I own a professional photo lab and am a Kodak film dealer. Eventhough Kodak has drastically cut back on their selection of 5x7 transparency films, it is possible to request a run for a special cut. I am interested to know if there are other photographers that would be interested in purchasing some of this film before I place an order. I would mark up the price just to cover my initial outlay of $ and something to compensate me for the effort. I do not know what emulsions they will "cut" as a special order. Right now I am exploring the options! My lab web site is www.4photolab.com Any interest out there and for what film???

Frank Petronio
17-Nov-2003, 13:49
Do you actually shoot 5x7 transparencies? How do you scan them? They won't fit on my lfatbed transparency adapter.

Ted Harris
17-Nov-2003, 15:51
Edgar, Koday's minimum requirements for special runs are usually astronomical in size and cost, You wuold likely need hundreds of us to do it. Which emulsions are you specifically interested in?

Frank, there are many flatbed scanners that have transparancy 'lids' that will handle up to an 8x10. I use a UMAX PowerLookIII that does so, I believe there are a number of other UMAX units that will as well and most of the Heidleberg units as examples.

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
17-Nov-2003, 17:37
Yes, I would probably be interested, depending of course upon price and film type. I would be interested in any of the E100 films. No need for a 3200k film since EPY is still made. Please keep us updated.

Isaac Crawford
17-Nov-2003, 18:58
Just so you know.... J and C sells E100vs in 13x18 size. You'd need to get some new holders (availible from Calumet if you're willing to wait a while), but it would be easy to get.

Isaac

Edgar Praus
18-Nov-2003, 10:05
Here is an update on the 5x7 film situation. I have placed a call to Kodak concerning minimum order size and emulsion availability. According to their catalogue the minimum is 500 square feet which comes out to about 2050 sheets. Knowing Kodak these days, who knows what the situation is today!

Concerning scanning, here at Praus Productions we can scan up to 5x7 with our Flextight virtual drum scanner.

James Driscoll
18-Nov-2003, 16:41
What film are you looking to have made??? You can get EPR in 5x7, and as the above states it is cheaper to by 13x18 E100VS and buy holders than have 2050 sheets made.

Someone in NYC recently had Porta 100T made in 5x7....the cost was $10,000. He didn't share........

Edgar Praus
24-Nov-2003, 09:35
Kodak finally contacted me and it was no surprise to learn that they had changed their policy. Then will cut any emulsion but the minimum is now $10,000! A little too much for me on speculation... The question was raised about the availability of 13x18 film and holders as a solution for me. The problem is that I have a boatload of 5x7 holders and am not interested in buying 50 more.

Ole Tjugen
25-Nov-2003, 01:42
In my experience, SOME 13x18 film will fit in SOME 5x7" holders. The tolerances overlap just a little bit, and holders are usually made slightly large. Just large enough that some 13x18 films will fit, if they're on the smallish side.

It might be worth a try? I have used 13x18 film in 5x7" holders, but have now bought some 13x18 holders as well. It's so irritating when the film buckles when you try to insert the dark slide...