PDA

View Full Version : Ebony back extender for SW45

Terry Hull
27-Jan-2012, 19:04
Anyone have a back extender to get a little more focal length than 190MM for the SW45?
Wonder if it works well, and whether or not the camera has to be sent back to the factory to make it extender ready.

Thanks

BOSS565
28-Jan-2012, 07:37
I have not used one. But, this looks like a standard item with Badger Graphics. www.badgergraphic.com They are very helpful. Call or shoot them an email & they will answer your questions.

Rayt
29-Jan-2012, 07:45
I just bought one but have not yet shot with it so this is just my initial impressions. It was used from Badger. Fit and finish is as good as my SW45. It is a tight fit getting the extender on and off. Once on the camera it looks like it belongs there. I would only use it for the occasional portrait since the SW45 is the only 4x5 i own and there aren't enough bellows otherwise. If I needed longer bellows for landscapes I would not go this route. Putting this thing on for a 240mm and then taking it off for the 72XL would be such a pain in the ass I'd sooner spend the money on another body.

Terry Hull
29-Jan-2012, 18:40
Thanks Rayt you have answered my question!

Martin Aislabie
1-Feb-2012, 12:05
I have the 452 Extension Back that I use on a 45S and have had a very different experience from Rayt.

Yes, it is tight fitting (a very re-assuring snap at it goes in) - but its easy to get on and off once you get the hang of it (there is only one right way and three wrong ways of mounting it - so check before trying)

It makes the camera a little heavy on the back - but nothing the camera body or a decent tripod cannot cope with.

Its best to practice first at home before trying for the first time out in the field.

Tip - firmly mount the Camera on a Tripod before attempting to fit it - otherwise you will quickly run out of hands and arms.

I use it in conjunction with a 350 Tele-Xenar and have had no problems with it.

YMMV

Martin