PDA

View Full Version : How much should it cost for a lab to develop a 4x5 sheet?

altec2
27-Jan-2012, 16:41
I'm wondering if the one close to me (NYC village) is a bad deal--they charge $4 a sheet.

What does your local lab charge?

BrianShaw
27-Jan-2012, 16:46
I paid about the same... until my local lab closed up. I think it was $9 with a contact sheet.

John Kasaian
27-Jan-2012, 16:47
The place that does my film is less than .40 a sheet (done in my daughter's bathroom!:D)

BrianShaw
27-Jan-2012, 16:48
Sorry... I lied. I paid $4.50 each for D&P.

John Rodriguez
27-Jan-2012, 16:55
$3.50 for color processing. $5.50 for B+W.

jcoldslabs
27-Jan-2012, 17:08
Pro Photo Supply in Portland charges $2.25 per 4x5 sheet for color, E-6 or C-41. Only $6.50 for 8x10 color! (That's processing only, no contacts or other prints.)

I'm feeling lucky right about now.

cabbiinc
27-Jan-2012, 18:07
Pro Photo Supply in Portland charges $2.25 per 4x5 sheet for color, E-6 or C-41. Only $6.50 for 8x10 color! (That's processing only, no contacts or other prints.)

I'm feeling lucky right about now.

And I'm feeling grateful that you mentioned this. The lab I used quit processing 4x5.

Jan Pedersen
27-Jan-2012, 18:33
Didn't even know that Pro Photo did processing, i have a feeling they let Citizen Photo do the actual work but i could be wrong.

jcoldslabs
27-Jan-2012, 19:17
Jan,

Pro Photo has a whole separate location for their processing department, down the street and around the corner, so it isn't too far from their regular storefront. I do know that they send their E-6 out, possibly their C-41 as well. I'm not sure. I don't think Citizen is the outfit doing it for them, though. Given the somewhat long turnaround time it might be sent by courier to Seattle? Maybe just somewhere else in town.

Regardless, the prices are great, if you ask me. If there is an 'outlab' markup it doesn't seem like much of one, and the service is friendly. I have a friend who is cutting his own thin base B&W aerial roll film down to fit his 4x5 holders (film that expired in the 50s). His cuts are irregular and uneven but the lab doesn't balk at his order--they process it just fine under the circumstances.

Jonathan

Richard Wheat
27-Jan-2012, 19:21
In Perth, Western Australia, I pay $13.00 per 4x5 sheet for E6. :(

Leigh
27-Jan-2012, 21:03
Dodge Chrome in Silver Spring, Md, charges the following for 4x5 per sheet:

$3.10 for E-6
$3.50 for either C-41 or B&W

- Leigh

Nguss
28-Jan-2012, 06:19
U.K is about $3.44 per sheet for B/W C41 or E6. I need to get a tank to try home developing b/w.

Louie Powell
28-Jan-2012, 06:36
The COST of processing a sheet and the PRICE for processing that sheet can - and should - be quite different.

If the lab has enough volume to be able to maintain a constant flow of film through the process line, then their cost will be the lowest possible, and the price they can charge will also be lower. And if that is the case, then it also makes sense that the market they are serving has enough demand for the service that they probably also have competition, and that will also help control the price. But if they get half a dozen sheets a month, and have to mix chemicals and set up specifically to process those sheets, their cost will be much higher, and the price they charge will also be higher.

So the question really comes down to what does the market demand.

I don't think that there are any labs where I live that process sheet film anymore.

Kuzano
28-Jan-2012, 06:51
They post a price list on their web site. I recall that currently one of their processes is in house and another (E6?) goes out.

There seems to be a good commitment to processing on their part because they expanded from their main store and opened their new processing lab around the corner about 5 years ago, again as I recall.

Link to their processing price sheet:

http://www.prophotosupply.com/p-lab_price.htm

Jim Michael
28-Jan-2012, 07:08
To add to Louie's comment, if the lab doesn't process sufficient film to make it a profitable venture, e.g. they do it only because it generates additional business for printing and mounting, they may be hesitant to put adequate resources into it. So, they may not be monitoring the process, they may not be cleaning the equipment, they may not be changing water and dryer filters, etc. You might find a "great deal" but then spend hours retouching embedded dirt out of your images or trying to resolve color crossovers. There is a reason we send our film all the way up to Praus. If the lab is local ask for a tour, ask to take a look at their process control charts, ask about the maintenance schedule they follow. Then judge for yourself based on the cleanliness of the facility, appearance and behavior of employees, etc.