PDA

View Full Version : Profiling the Scanner

tgtaylor
26-Jan-2012, 22:10
When profiling the scanner is it necessary or advisable to create a seperate profile for each of the scanners "image types" (e.g., Standard, Landscape...Highlight Cast...etc)? My scanner (Epson 3200) is running Silverfast 6.4.4r7 as a Photoshop (CS3) plugin.

Thanks,

Thomas

timparkin
27-Jan-2012, 13:33
you should switch off all settings (sharpness etc) and then profile it for that and only ever use that setting. Then make your changes in photoshop. At least that is my personal opinion as I like to have a 'raw' scan to play with if I ever want to go back to that image.

Peter De Smidt
27-Jan-2012, 19:26
I'm with Tim on this one.

neil poulsen
27-Jan-2012, 23:09
What zre you thinking of scannng? Negative, transparency, B&W?

tgtaylor
28-Jan-2012, 10:40
Ah, good question Neil.

I have built custom transparency (as a positive) and reflective profiles for the scanner and printer on Epson Premium Glossy Paper with a Monaco colorimeter and haven't yet considered building a negative profile for color and B&W film. Would they be built the same way as the profile for a positive transparency by selecting positive instead of negative and selective the type film from the SilverFast drop down menu?

In building the profiles I turned off all color options in the scanner. However one of the "image types" as noted above must be chosen. I built the profiles using the "standard" image type. Does this mean that when running a scan I must always choose the "standard" image type to stay within the parameters of profile. If not, then that would mean creating a separate profile for each of the image types.

Finally, my computer is a 32-bit operating system. Is there any benefit in scanning in 48-bite mode, which Silverfast supports, or am I better selecting the 48 => 24 bit scanning mode?

Thanks,

Thomas

Peter De Smidt
28-Jan-2012, 17:47
The bit depth of your operating system doesn't have anything directly to do with the bit depth of your file. You should scan color in 48 bit mode, with is 16 bits per channel.

photoSmart42
5-Feb-2012, 20:47
I scan with all settings turned off, and calibrate my scanned target in PS. I calibrate my PS output to my monitor and my printer.