PDA

View Full Version : toning

Pawlowski6132
26-Jan-2012, 11:58
I want to selenium tone for permanence and sepia tone for color. What. Order is best? Can I start with a dry print?

Thanx much

vinny
26-Jan-2012, 12:02
Not sure about the first part but I'd soak the print in water first since the process normally starts with a print that's right out of the wash.

Vaughn
26-Jan-2012, 12:08
Typically one sepia tones first. I believe the selenium will not allow the image to bleach as it normally would. I said "typically" because I am sure there are others that reverse it for their own reasons.

I usually tone completely fixed, washed and dried prints (soaked in water first). I would save up a bunch of different images and tone them all in one session.

Also -- sepia toning is archival in of itself -- and selenium will change the color of a sepia toned print.

Vaughn

Mark Woods
26-Jan-2012, 12:14
Get Tim Rudman's book on toning. It's a great source for this and more.

DanK
26-Jan-2012, 12:25
Sepia (sulfide) toning by itself is usually considered adequate for permanence...

fwiw....I have toned prints both ways....sepia first, then selenium and others selenium first, then sepia...

With sepia first the prints still have a sepia 'look'....and minimal color change from the selenium - though selenium first, followed with sepia, usually results in a very deep reddish tone - good for some prints terrible for others...(I typically use oriental mg fb coldtone paper)...

(Thoroughly washed and wet print before toning - washed between each stage as well - wash - bleach - wash - sepia - wash - selenium - etc)

Cheers,
Dan