PDA

View Full Version : Help with Bulb Malfunction

babak
26-Jan-2012, 11:49
Hello,

Got a recent problem with my schneider 90mm lens. It is mounted on a Compur O shutter and has been working perfectly up until a couple of weeks ago when the bulb setting stopped working. It does open but on releasing the the shutter cable it will not close. The only way to close it is to change the shutter speed. I have had to take multiple 1 second shots on the same film to compensate for this.

Any ideas, on how to fix this problem? I live in France and there is no camera shops in the immediate vicinity that deal with large format...

BrianShaw
26-Jan-2012, 12:34
That is possibly a sign that the innards of your shutter need cleaning and lubrication.

Vaughn
26-Jan-2012, 12:39
Does the "T" setting still work (assuming a Compur 0 has a "T" setting -- the Copal 0 does)?

Vaughn

lenser
26-Jan-2012, 12:57
If you don't have a "T" setting to use, create an 8x10 piece of cardboard covered with black velvet. Use the bulb setting as you normally would and when the time is up, move the 8x10 card in front of the lens while you use the other hand to change the shutter speed to close the shutter. The black velvet drinks up light and will not record on the film, so any time that the lens is open on that has no effect on the overall exposure as this appliance effectively is a shutter. Beyond that, you do need a good CLA on the shutter.

babak
27-Jan-2012, 02:29
Thanks all, just realised I probably should have posted this in the Lens forum??? I will post it there as well?

Vaughn there is no T setting on there.

Is it worth me sending it off to be repaired and cleaned, or should I just buy a copal 0?
Any suggestions as to where I can send it to preferablr in France, Europe?

BrianShaw
27-Jan-2012, 08:21
Is it worth me sending it off to be repaired and cleaned, or should I just buy a copal 0?

Any reputable camera repair shop should be able to clean that for you. It is much easier to have it serviced than replaced... and much more affordable too.

p.s. this is as good a forum as the lens forum... nothing wrong with posting this kind of question here, IMO.

babak
28-Jan-2012, 01:19
Thanks Brian, agree with you 100%

Its just that some people seem to get upset if the classification of the subject is not exact..

Any reputable camera repair shop should be able to clean that for you. It is much easier to have it serviced than replaced... and much more affordable too.

p.s. this is as good a forum as the lens forum... nothing wrong with posting this kind of question here, IMO.