PDA

View Full Version : Exhibiting Very Large framed art/photos - how to hang

Mark Simms
16-Nov-2003, 22:03
Does anyone have a resource for mounting a very large (over 30"x40", over 70 lbs) framed, glassed photograph on a wall ? Hanging hardware is what I am looking for....

Ling Z
16-Nov-2003, 22:16
You may go to either Homedepot or ACE Hardware to purchase the hanging hardwares. Both have various frame hangers that can support from 5 lbs to over 100 lbs. Each costs about $0.10 to $0.50.

Frank Petronio
17-Nov-2003, 02:54
I've seen people make dedicated hardwood hangers from off the shelf molding that mount onto wall studs. The female ("L" shape rotated clockwise 90 degrees) mounts on the wall, male ("L" shape rotated clockwise 270 degrees) on the art.

Moderate pieces can be held with Light Impressions triple pin hooks, which only hit the drywall but spread the load. Unlike nails the pins are hard and thin, so they don't distress the wallboard and make it weaker (as much...) Sometimes I would add a second set of hooks but it makes leveling harder. Also be sure to use corner bumper pads at the bottom as heavy art will dig into the wall at the bottom of the frame.

jerry brodkey
17-Nov-2003, 06:51
I would use Floreat Hangers. I have some that hold 75 lbs and each uses 3 nails to attach to the wall.

David A. Goldfarb
17-Nov-2003, 07:01
To make hanging easier and for extra security, you can use two hooks rated at 100 lbs. In general, framed work of any size will stay level when hung with two hooks that are level. If you haven't framed it yet, consider UV-coated acrylic instead of glass, which is lighter and won't shatter in the event of an accident.

Brian Kennedy
17-Nov-2003, 08:20
I don't have any pictures that heavy, since I use plexiglass, but for a 100+lbs mirror, this is how I was told to hang it, and it works: use two 75lb floreat hangers, and hook onto them with two strap-hangers (or "D-rings") on the back of the frame (without wire connecting them).

Mark Simms
17-Nov-2003, 08:42
Thanks all for the responses:
1) we could not find the heavy-duty hardware hangars at Home Depot, only those for 50 lbs or less. Moreover, we could not find heavy-duty hardware at FramewareInc (www.framewareinc.com), one of the largest east coast frame hardware manufacturers. Also, the frame manufacturer's provided hardware was far too "light" for a frame of this magnitude. So...we were really "stuck".
2) The frame was very long (110") and moreover it was hung in landscape / panoramic orientation. It was made of light ABS plastic, and although we reinforced it with strong aluminum channel overlapping screwed into the "groove" in the back of the frame rails, the long edge had to be supported at multiple points......both on the top and on the bottom....otherwise it would hang with a "bend". Also, Fastening had to made on studs.....these 2 factors made the hanging much more complex.
3) we ended up fabricating our own hardware using the frame manufacturers design as a guideline. The key feature however, was a channel that ran the entire length of the bottom of the frame.....and was fastened via velcro to a matching piece on the wall.
4) Initially, the piece was hung without glass (the photo had a UV laminate). As you are aware, a piece of this size is much more stable with glass than without. However, the client's site was found to be far too dusty to display without glass. A 5.5 mm piece of plexiglas was special ordered from our distributor, but was not available in non-glare....but I do believe it has UV protection built-in. A company by the name of Acrilex of Jersey City, NJ manufactured the glass and cut it to spec.
Anyone want to see a picture of this whole thing ?

dblock
20-Jan-2008, 11:07
Check out http://www.dblock.org/ShowPost.aspx?id=1242 for a detailed post about making and hanging 100lbs plexiglass frames.

IanG
20-Jan-2008, 11:58
Mark, where are you hanging the frames.

All the exhibitions I've been involved with (30+) have allowed and wanted frames to be screwed securely to the wall using mirror plates.

Ian

Edwin Lachica
20-Jan-2008, 12:04
Ditto Franks response.

A lot of the gigantic diasec works are hung this way.

Cheers,

Edwin

Bruce Watson
20-Jan-2008, 12:35
Why are you people reviving a four+ year old thread?

Don't you think the OP might have finished his project by now?

IanG
20-Jan-2008, 12:55
Good point, I picked up from a post made less than an hour ago, but looking again the poster's just trying to sell his system so resurrected this old thread.

Ian

CG
22-Jan-2008, 17:05
These guys: Picture Hanging Solutions at www.govart.com have some real heavy duty hanging hardware.

The Super Steel 4-Hole Wire Hanger at www.govart.com/hardware_hangers_hvy_C.html is solid and easy to use.

If you're hanging really heavy stuff - consider wall hardware that gets into the studs. I've torm out doubled three hole floreats just floating in drywall.

C