PDA

View Full Version : What is a Calumet CC-403?

Roger Varland
1-Feb-1999, 16:29
I'm about to become a 4x5 rookie and am camera shopping. An ad listed a Calumet CC-403 still in the box, but the seller doesn't know much about cameras. Can s omeone tell me if this is a current model or one of the older ones? Thanks.

Sean Billy Bob Boy yates
1-Feb-1999, 22:53
Yeah, this is an oldy. The CC series came in 3 models, all pretty much the same except for bellows draw. I will have to look up the model designation/draw when I get home, but you're looking at 16" for the standard, 19" for the long and 6 - 8" for the short/architechtural model.

This is a good but older monorail that was produced by various companies under various names. Julius Schulman used the earlier Kodak version as his first camera and there are extensive pictures of it in use in the original Ansel Adams Basic Photo series, Book 1 Lens & Camera. I used to work in a studio that had 3 of 'em hanging around as back-up cameras. it has front rise (geared) & fall, swing & shift & tilt via friction, rear swing & tilt. I can't recall if it had rear shift. It has a rotating back with a bail to make opening it easier. Depending on when it was made it'll be green/grey (older) or black (newer, say maybe as late as early 80's) It may also have a graflock back.

basic, effective, sturdy, non-glamorous.

Sean Billy Bob Boy yates
2-Feb-1999, 00:50
Well, I'm wrong, or maybe the lsiting has a typo.

I have an older Calumet Catalog page here that lists the CC-400 as the basic 16" model, the CC-401 as a 22" model, and the CC-402 as the 7 & 3/16" model.

Maybe this catalog is too old to list the CC-403, or maybe it's rare & unique, or maybe the lister got the number wrong. I did once see a black C-1 which had been converted to a front-focus wide angle camera. It looked like a well-executed home-made job to me, but the seller assured me it came from the factory or dealer that way. In any event, the moves are as follows, Front rise 3" fall 1" Front & Rear swing 12 deg. Front & Rear tilt bellows limited Front & Rear shigt 7/8"

Hope this helps

Sean Billy Bob Boy yates
2-Feb-1999, 14:17
Just found a listing for the CC-403 in McBrooms, no specs but it sold for $275.00 (+/-) 3 years ago, as oppossed to 325.00 - 350.00 for the other models.

John Hicks
4-Feb-1999, 02:34
I have in the shop a Calumet short-rail/floppy bellows wideangle camera that has a 12" rail (just measured it). The camera isn't labeled; perhaps it's a CC-403. The guys at Calumet could tell you for sure.