PDA

View Full Version : This may not be possible soon...

rdenney
24-Jan-2012, 14:48
I'm looking at a conference display. It is 15' wide and 7' tall, and is filled with a photograph of a freeway scene with the Baltimore skyline in the background. It was made at dusk, with about a 30-second exposure so that headlights and taillights left trails and individual vehicles could not be identified (a requirement). The image is sharp to the grain, and the grain is visible but not obnoxious--it is visible from several feet away. People walk up nose-to-image quite frequently, by my observation, and the detail holds up at that distance, even though the grain becomes substantial. It is not art, but it is compelling for what it is. It is, however, highly competent commercial work done perhaps 10 years ago.

I've included an iPhone snap of a piece of the display that is perhaps 20x24"--just a fragment to provide a visual. (And the attachment is a Tapatalk experiment that may fail. Edit: Tapatalk compressed it to nearly nothing--Even this small fragment is much better in the flesh.)

I told them to take good care of it. Reproducing it next year might require an artist's rendering.

Rick "not anti-digital, but not seeing any digital means of making this image" Denney

vinny
24-Jan-2012, 15:03
why not?
just lower your standards like everyone else and you'll be fine.

John NYC
24-Jan-2012, 16:58
Exactly Vinny. Remember, resolution is not ever important, even as a component or aspect of any photographer's technique or style. And it is particularly important not to upset anyone here by openly discussing it, even if logically. I think this thread should be deleted by the moderators.

Brian C. Miller
24-Jan-2012, 17:00
From what standpoint? Resolution or shutter time?

Canon EOS Rebel T3:
Exposure Control
ISO Sensitivity 100-6400
Shutter 30 - 1/4000 sec

And the 12.2Mp resolution will be just fine with the application of appropriate algorithms. Really, it'll all be just fine!

LOOK HERE, JIM! This is a great application for sharp color 8x10 photography!