PDA

View Full Version : Photogs pose with their most iconic shot

John Jarosz
23-Jan-2012, 08:36
20x24 Polaroids from Wired Magazine (http://www.wired.com/rawfile/2012/01/famous-photogs-pose-with-their-most-iconic-images/?viewall=true)

Ari
23-Jan-2012, 08:55
Pretty cool; some great photos.
The humourous part, though, is in reading the comments section.
I hope it isn't a true representation of a cross-section of society; otherwise we're in big trouble.

Brian C. Miller
23-Jan-2012, 09:10
I hope it isn't a true representation of a cross-section of society; otherwise we're in big trouble.

Uh, why do you say that? :confused: It's just like it says, photographers and their best-known photographs.

John Jarosz
23-Jan-2012, 09:11
I had not read the comments but they are very typical for comments sent to newspapers or magazines. 'Letters to the editor' sent to newspapers are always selected and edited for inclusion in the paper. Here you see the raw stuff that comes in. Everyone has their own myopic view. Usually misguided as well. I've mentioned to my newspaper friends that publishing these comments as they do generally denigrates their product (my opinion). But since 'everyone does it' the practice is likely to continue.

cdholden
23-Jan-2012, 09:16
That's a good collection of work. I think the Tienamen Square and Ali/Liston photos stand out from the rest in my memories. For different reasons, both of those are strong photos which inspired people around the world.

Brian Ellis
23-Jan-2012, 09:19
Pretty cool; some great photos.
The humourous part, though, is in reading the comments section.

Which ones did you find humorous? Or if the humor was collective, what did you think was humorous about them? Just wondering, since I apparently missed the humor, both individually and collectively.

DrTang
23-Jan-2012, 10:42
now I wanna shoot a pix of Tim Mantoani holding one of those polaroids with my iPhone

Kirk Gittings
23-Jan-2012, 11:07
Nice series. All nice portraits but Karen Kuehn is a good friend of mine and I love that shot of her. It is not just a simple nice portrait of her holding an iconic image she made but an insightful portait that reaches into her personality-going well beyond the obvious. Superb.

Rain Dance
23-Jan-2012, 12:17
20x24 polaroids?? Wow that must be s sight to behold (and expensive). Beautiful portraits. :)

Frank Petronio
23-Jan-2012, 12:21
Thanks I never read Wired anymore and would have missed them. Gawd many of them look old but maybe it was the 12,000 watts of strobe hitting them to get f/64 out of an 800mm lens ;-p

Jay DeFehr
23-Jan-2012, 13:50
now I wanna shoot a pix of Tim Mantoani holding one of those polaroids with my iPhone

Yes, I too like the recursive nature of the project, though I think you're making it difficult for the next generation with your tiny iPhone image!:D

Ari
23-Jan-2012, 16:42
Uh, why do you say that? :confused: It's just like it says, photographers and their best-known photographs.

I was referring to the nit-picking and bullying in the comments section.

Which ones did you find humorous? Or if the humor was collective, what did you think was humorous about them? Just wondering, since I apparently missed the humor, both individually and collectively.

Again, I was referring to the comments section.
It's not humourous, unless you take delight in the ever-accelerating disintegration of civilization.
It was meant as an ironic comment, for which there is not yet an emoticon. :( :mad: :D
How sad that few commented on the work, and chose to bicker about the web page design or gender representation.
Anyway, enough nit-picking.

My fave is Muhammad Ali stomping Sonny Liston; if you read about that fight, Ali had little respect for Liston, and had already reduced Liston to rubble long before fight day.
Ali's months of mentally wearing down Liston worked so well, that all he had to do was show up and hit Liston once.

Bill_1856
23-Jan-2012, 21:57
Thanks.

ic-racer
24-Jan-2012, 00:40

For example: "This book and this article do nothing but perpetuate outdated notions of photography. There is no single image that contains "the truth"..."

Ari
24-Jan-2012, 07:25
For example: "This book and this article do nothing but perpetuate outdated notions of photography. There is no single image that contains "the truth"..."

Or when one guy said karen Kuehn and Mary Ellen Mark "look kinda femalish (sic) to me".