PDA

View Full Version : Photo.net, Lfphoto.info or both?

Rory_3532
14-Nov-2003, 13:12
There doesn't seem to be any trend toward consolidation of LF postings at one of these two sites. Some people are using photo.net, some are using lfphoto.info and some are using both? Why isn't a consolidation happening?

Witold Grabiec
14-Nov-2003, 13:35
I would probably call it a separation of interests.

For those who shoot multiple formats, photo.net still remains a one-stop chat. There is no questions however, that in LF case photo.net is no longer what it once was.

Sal Santamaura
14-Nov-2003, 13:50
Read this thread (http://largeformatphotography.info/lfforum/thread.php?topic=496571) and the links within it for answers to your question.

Rory_3532
14-Nov-2003, 14:01
Sal,

I read the thread, including your statement "I look forward to an imminent reunion of our community".

As far as I can see, the reunion you speak of is not exactly imminent. Rather, there seems to be a split. Do you and the others who put lfphoto.info together know, maybe from traffic patterns, whether there is a move to one site or the other?

I'm not trying to be contentious - really. I just would have thought that it would be in everyone's interest to have one site, but at the moment it doesn't look like everyone sees it that way, and it's pretty clear that a lot of people are using both sites, cross-posting, etc.

QT Luong
14-Nov-2003, 14:27
Rory, apparently more than half of the traffic of the LF Forum on photo.net moved here, which seems to contradict an assertion that "the silent majority prefered photo.net". However, a consolidation is very unlikely because: (a) for reasons which somewhat elude me, a number of photo.net contributors appear very hostile to any suggestion of using this forum instead of photo.net's LF, as evidenced by the animosity which always follows announcements about this forum on photo.net. (b) many new people come to the photo.net LF forum through the other photo.net pages. Currently, due to the fact that photo.net appropriated the former archives of this forum with a better search engine visibility, there is little chance they would be aware of this forum. This is a pity, because many are newcomers to the format and therefore would benefit the most from good advice, but I have no idea on how to improve the situation, especially in light of the first point.

Sal Santamaura
14-Nov-2003, 14:33
Rory, the reunion I wrote about referred to a coming back together of the original LUSENET LF community. That has in large part occurred as hoped for. Did you also read linked items in Tuan's first posting in that thread? They effectively summarize the history of this forum and photo.net's fork from it. For reasons made clear on those pages, I don't think you'll see the photo.net LF forum folded into this one. I know the reverse won't happen.

I'm just a visitor here, and have no data concerning posters' moves to one site or the other. Brian Mottershead presented information a while back (on the photo.net LF forum if I remember correctly) that compared them quantitatively. It is my contention that quantity does not equal quality.

David A. Goldfarb
14-Nov-2003, 16:23
I don't see any mechanism to consolidate the forums, nor any particularly good reason to. This forum is doing just fine, and so is the one on photo.net, and there are large-format discussion areas elsewhere on the internet too. Users will choose the forum or forums they find most informative.

Capocheny
14-Nov-2003, 17:14
Frankly, I can't see what the big deal is.

For those who wish to use photo.net...great!

For those who prefer this site...marvellous!

For those who prefer using both sites...all the more power to them!

That's the great thing about having a "freedom of choice." It gives individuals the right to choose which site(s) they want to participate in, and which site they choose NOT to participate in.

Isn't it the objective of both these sites to help educate newbies and experienced users alike? I'd suggest we just go out and shoot some pictures instead of quibbling over mundane issues like this.

Life is far too short!!!!

Ellis Vener
14-Nov-2003, 19:19
I use both forums. Fo r the first few weeks after the re-birth of this forum as a seperate entity, there were a few people who seem to use this forum exclusively who were more than happy to bash away at photo.net for a variety of reasons, and who were regularly posting overthere as well saying , ineffect , "abandon photo.net ! It is a sinking ship!' (yes I know I'm exaggerating but only slightly in a couple of cases.)

Frankly I don't see any reason for the two entities to reunite as it is a big world. I agree that a lot of "newbies" to large format photography would benefit from participating here, but this forum is a bit more esoteric than the large format forum that remains on photo.net.

By the way, I originally started coming to this forum when it was on the Philip Greenspun sponsored Lusenet. After exploring this forum for awhile I found a link to photo.net. Godspeed to both groups.

james mickelson
15-Nov-2003, 10:45
There os no reason that I see not to participate in both forums. They each offer different yet at times the same information. I enjoy both and participate in both. I enjoy Tuans voice here and also many of the respondents. But I get pleasure from both forums and actively promote both on each site as a means to provide an alternative to both and as much information as I can. Most newcomers go to PNet because they come from smaller formats. Niether right nor wrong. Because I espouse the use of both forums on each, it brings some new blood here occasionally. Viva le difference.

Tim Hettinger
15-Nov-2003, 10:50
It would be a great thing if people would stick to the business at hand - large format photography - instead of spending so much time trashing other forums. There are in fact MANY forums relating to large format photography, all of which can be informative, enjoyable and interesting. If you prefer certain forums over others, then just go to that one (two or three or whatever) and ask legitimate questions and give legitimate replies. I'm interested in photography, not the politics of forums, and have learned from both of them mentioned above and others. Thanks to all people who have taught me so much in ALL OF THEM. Now, lets get back to business. thanks