PDA

View Full Version : Crown Graphic GG Backwards?

UberSquid
19-Jan-2012, 08:12
While working on my crown I noticed that the GG seems to be mounted backwards with the ground side on the outside of the back. This is backward from most cameras and struck me as odd but I didn't change it at the time. Most of the photos I've taken so far have been shape with a small aperture but I noticed on some negatives last night where I was trying to open the lens up to isolate my subject a bit that the focus seems a bit off. I figured I just missed but now I'm wondering if I need to flip the ground glass around.

Are the Graflex backs different than all the others?

Greg Lockrey
19-Jan-2012, 08:14
It's backwards.... shiny side out.

rdenney
19-Jan-2012, 08:22
There is an oddity with Graphics that might be the issue. Those designed for a Fresnel place that Fresnel (a Kodak Ektalite if I'm remembering that correctly) between the ground glass and the lens, which is not the usual placement. The stops are deeper as a result to keep the ground glass in the correct focusing position. It could be that this camera was designed for use with a Fresnel, but the Fresnel was removed at some point. Somebody may have reversed the ground glass to try and correct for the removal of the Fresnel--doing so would move the focus surface rearward, at least in the same direction as it would be moved by installing the Fresnel.

The better solution is to restore the ground surface towards the lens, and then shim it to the correct position.

http://www.graflex.org/articles/sanz-cervera/

Rick "whose Speed has an Ektalite" Denney

UberSquid
19-Jan-2012, 09:00
There is an oddity with Graphics that might be the issue. Those designed for a Fresnel place that Fresnel (a Kodak Ektalite if I'm remembering that correctly) between the ground glass and the lens, which is not the usual placement. The stops are deeper as a result to keep the ground glass in the correct focusing position. It could be that this camera was designed for use with a Fresnel, but the Fresnel was removed at some point. Somebody may have reversed the ground glass to try and correct for the removal of the Fresnel--doing so would move the focus surface rearward, at least in the same direction as it would be moved by installing the Fresnel.

The better solution is to restore the ground surface towards the lens, and then shim it to the correct position.

http://www.graflex.org/articles/sanz-cervera/

Rick "whose Speed has an Ektalite" Denney

That is exactly what I was wondering! Mine does not have a fresnel screen and I wondered if the glass had been reversed in an effort to make up the difference in space. I've used the reading fresnels from the office supply store on several TLR cameras in the past. They have a 4x5 that I'm wondering about using on the Crown. I may pick one up tonight to see if it works as well with large format as it does in the smaller cameras.

Thanks for the input guys! I'll let you know how the measurements come out tonight.

Dan Fromm
19-Jan-2012, 09:26
A Graphic's GG sits on four bosses that are located around the focusing panel's edge. There's one focusing panel casting for each of the sizes of Pacemaker Graphic (2x3, 3x4, 4x5) so the casting number can't be used to tell whether the focusing panel is intended to be used with or without a fresnel.

I have 2x3 Pacemaker focusing panels with and without the fresnel. Those without have higher bosses than those with. When they're side by side without GG and fresnel the difference is quite noticeable.

So, invertebrate, take a look at yours. If the bosses hardly stand away from the frame your focusing panel wants a fresnel -- original issue, accept no substitutes -- between it and the GG. Otherwise it doesn't. If it doesn't and you want to put on an aftermarket fresnel, put it between you and the GG.

The parsimonious explanation for a reversed GG is that someone who didn't know what he/she/it was doing took it off and put it back on.