PDA

View Full Version : What's Comparable to the Layton

Scott Knowles
18-Jan-2012, 14:12
Since it's almost obvious the Layton L-45A won't see the light of day and those with deposits (I raise my hand here) will see their money lost to experience, I'm wondering what field camera would folks recommend that is at least on par with the L-45A. I like my Horseman HD (bought from someone here, thanks) with 4 lenses, but I have 3 more lenses waiting which the L-45A would accommodate but the HD doesn't. Suggestions to consider?

Gem Singer
18-Jan-2012, 14:20
If you are referring to a new camera, take a look at the Canham DLC-2.

An all metal camera, made in the USA.

vinny
18-Jan-2012, 14:33
the chamonix 45n-2 will handle a 450mm with the extension bracket. I use everything from a 65mm to 450mm on mine. I have a home made extention bracket so I can't speak for the factory version.

Gem Singer
18-Jan-2012, 15:31
Vinny,

The Layton was/is a metal folding flat bed field camera, with a rack and pinion focusing mechanism. Made in the USA.

The Chamonix is a wooden/composite folding flatbed field camera, with a lead screw focusing mechanism. Made in China.

Not comparable to the Layton in design or materials.

vinny
18-Jan-2012, 15:48
The op didn't say he was concerned with the camera's origin. In fact, he owns a horseman, which was made where?
He's interested in a camera which will handle several unknown to us focal lengths, and on par with the Layton, a camera that how many folks own? How much of a deposit did you lay down? Have you shot with a Layton or a Chamonix 45n-2?

Kirk Gittings
18-Jan-2012, 16:01
I'm not familiar with the late Layton. Are there any pictures any where?

Frank_E
18-Jan-2012, 16:27
since I had not heard of the camera before
I went "googling" looking for images
this is the only one I could find
don't know if it is accurate

http://www.wsrphoto.com/lfbloglist.html

Brian Ellis
18-Jan-2012, 17:05
If you're looking for something on a par with the Layton, just send me a couple hundred dollars and I won't send you a camera.

Oren Grad
18-Jan-2012, 19:16

Wayback Machine to the rescue:

http://web.archive.org/web/20050323231401/http://laytoncamera.com/

Caveat: may take a few moments to load.

Scott Knowles
18-Jan-2012, 19:23

Oren, thanks for the link. John let his domain and Website lapse. I have two pictures of the camera from his former Website here (http://www.wsrphoto.com/web-images/laytonl45a.jpg) and here (http://www.wsrphoto.com/web-images/laytonl45b.jpg).

Yes, I'm looking for a metal, folding, flat bed field camera with the specifications to accommodate a range of lenses, from a Schneider Super-Angulon 90mm f5.6 to the Schneider Symmar-S 300mm f5.6 lens (Copal 3 shutter) and full front and back movements similar to the Layton (see archive Website above).

Kirk Gittings
18-Jan-2012, 19:28
I remember now I met him at a conference ans saw the camera. It was an interesting camera. What was the price going to be?

Gem Singer
18-Jan-2012, 19:40
Hi Scott,

As I previously stated, take a look at the Canham DLC45-2. (www.canhamcameras.com)

It fits the description of your needs.

Canham only sells through dealers. Jim, at Midwest photo Exchange, or Fred, at The Viewcamera Store can help you.

Oren Grad
18-Jan-2012, 19:40
Yes, I'm looking for a metal, folding, flat bed field camera with the specifications to accommodate a range of lenses, from a Schneider Super-Angulon 90mm f5.6 to the Schneider Symmar-S 300mm f5.6 lens (Copal 3 shutter) and full front and back movements similar to the Layton (see archive Website above).

The need to accommodate a big 300 plasmat restricts your choices pretty severely. In principle you can do it with a Technika, but the metal Canham, with its bigger lensboard and greater flexibility in movements, might make more sense. I don't think the other metal folding 4x5 cameras have enough bellows draw, at least not without kludging them up with front or rear extenders.

Gem Singer
18-Jan-2012, 19:55
Kirk,

The Layton was priced at just under $5k. One of the reasons I changed my mind about purchasing one. The other reason was the weight of the camera.

I was preparing to send Latyon the $500 deposit he required. Talked to Jim at Midwest, and he recommended that I talk to Keith Canham. Keith patiently explained the design drawbacks of the Layton. He had the opportunity to handle one at a camera show.

Layton made several prototypes, the camera never reached the manufacturing stage, and several folks lost their $500 deposits.

My $500 went toward the purchase price of a Canham.

Frank Petronio
18-Jan-2012, 20:16
Where is Layton now?

Gem Singer
18-Jan-2012, 21:49
Where's Layton? Probably sailing the seven seas with Ron Wisner.

jeroldharter
18-Jan-2012, 22:59
I would say Canham, Chamonix, Arca, all of which are very different. I remember the Layton. Too bad it never materialized. Like many unique products, they have no clear alternatives.

Scott Knowles
19-Jan-2012, 07:54
Thanks everyone. I'll look at the Canham. I'm one of those who's deposit is lost to experience. Over time John had lowered his price to $3+K w/o lensboard ($~100 each if I remember), and the last time we communicated he offered an additional discount to depositors. He got close to production (initial 10 in 2008-09), but sadly that's where it ended due to production problems and other issues of life.