PDA

View Full Version : Photos Online with Petzval in Landscape Mode?

Tim Layton
18-Jan-2012, 07:09
I am hoping that someone has some photos and comments about using a Petzval designed lens in landcape mode? Just to make sure I am clear, I assume that to mean the removal of the front element and leaving it blank, then remove the rear element and place the front element in the rear.

I am hoping to see how soft the photos are as compared to other meniscus designs such as the P&S SA, Kodak Portrait, etc.

I am still hunting around for a soft focus solution for my 4x5 field camera when I travel and don't have access to my 8x10 and thought this might be a good option to pursue. Without having one to use it is hard to even know if the option is worth pursuing.

Thanks for your help!

Tim

vinny
18-Jan-2012, 09:08
Flickr.com

Tim Layton
18-Jan-2012, 10:20
Flickr.com

Vinny, searching on Flickr for "Petzval Landscape mode" returned two photos out of the millions on Flickr. Of the two results they were useless. I was hoping for some specific links from photographers here where the landscape mode is confirmed.

Tim

Richard Rankin
18-Jan-2012, 11:22
I have a B&L petzval around 7" focal length and could loan you one so you could answer your own question...

Richard

Emil Schildt
18-Jan-2012, 12:07
Interesting.

I would like to see that my self. I think we are many, who own petzvals, and are aware (and happy) that these can be used in landscape mode - but we're not doing it.. (?)

I'll see if I can take time to do some tests..

Tim; I think you "need" a petzval casket set for your camera!:-)

Portrait and landscape - and a lot on between...

I have seen some for sale on the bay during the last couple of years - and am the happy owner of one.. (see pics)

davehyams
18-Jan-2012, 12:12
There is a 9 inch Port-Land on eBay that would be a nice soft focus lens on 4X5. I think there are two actually, and one has been there forever, a great little lens. I have an 11 inch that I use on full plate. Worth checking out and maybe they would be willing to deal.

Tim Layton
18-Jan-2012, 15:51
Interesting.

I would like to see that my self. I think we are many, who own petzvals, and are aware (and happy) that these can be used in landscape mode - but we're not doing it.. (?)

I'll see if I can take time to do some tests..

Tim; I think you "need" a petzval casket set for your camera!:-)

Portrait and landscape - and a lot on between...

I have seen some for sale on the bay during the last couple of years - and am the happy owner of one.. (see pics)

Thank you... I am hoping to compare the images from the Petzval Landscape Mode with other soft focus lenses that I own such as the Verito, Kodak Portrait, etc.

I know that various Petzvals may or may not allow swapping of the front and rear elements. It depends on the lens and of course there was a very long run on this design making the issue even more hit or miss. I don't know why more people done use them in Landscape Mode. If you already own the lens it is the cheapest soft focus solution in town.

Thanks,

Tim