PDA

View Full Version : 90mm with 77mm filter thread

IHS
17-Jan-2012, 15:05
Hello,

I have been in the market for a 90mm lens for a while now and all I have come across have a filter ring size of larger than 77mm. I am wondering if anyone knows of a 90mm make or model that has a 77mm or SMALLER filter ring thread on the front (most are 82mm and up).

I am looking for 77mm or smaller because I want to be able to use my ND Grad filer on it, and the ring for that only goes up to 77mm. Thank you in advance.

Any good leads on any websites would be appreciated (I have searched keh, adorama, and BH several times.)

-Ian

E. von Hoegh
17-Jan-2012, 15:09
90mm Angulon, as long as you don't need much in movements. 40.5mm filters.

Edit - http://www.schneideroptics.com/info/vintage_lens_data/large_format_lenses/super-angulon/data/8-90mm.html

Lachlan 717
17-Jan-2012, 15:14
Hi, Ian.

Isn't this a bit like the tail wagging the dog?

Buying a lens based on filters seems to be the wrong way around here.

What filter kit do you have? Even Cokin P filters will do 82mm.

And, depending on what you're shooting, you might need to use a Centre Filter. These are always significantly larger than the mounting thread. For instance, the CF for the 90mm f5.6 Super Angulon is 105mm front thread, meaning that you'll need a Cokin X-Pro series filter to cover it (up to 118mm).

Noah A
17-Jan-2012, 15:25
How about the Nikkor SW 90mm f/8 or the Rodenstock Grandagon-N 90mm f/6.8? I've never used either but have heard good things about both.

Both are 67mm I believe, and both come up for sale once in a while both on this forum and on Ebay.

Corran
17-Jan-2012, 16:44
Both the Schneider SA 90mm f/8 and Nikkor 90mm f/8 take 67mm filters. I've double-stacked filters and used a ton of front rise with no problems on the Nikkor on 4x5.

Standardizing filters across the spectrum of lenses one uses and for filters one owns is NOT a stupid idea. I don't know about others but I don't want to carry around 4 different sets of filters or muck around with all kinds of adapter rings. All of my lenses are 67mm except one 77mm, which I use a step-down ring to fit 67mm filters on.

Besides, if one needs to buy all new filters for some humongous monster of a front element that could increase the purchase price by hundreds of dollars.

Joe Wright
18-Jan-2012, 06:43
Lens tables (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/lenses/)

Fujinon SW 90 f/8 67mm
Nikkor SW 90 f/8 67mm
Grandagon N 90 f/6.8 67mm
Super-Angulon 90 f/8 67mm

I have varying filter size lens. Using the Lee filter system I leave a filter adapter attached to each lens which the filter mount clips straight to. The lens cap is then displaced with a lee equivalent (or Green & Blacks Ice cream tub cover!) that clips to the adapter. It means buying an adapter for each lens but it saves faffing about in the field screwing stuff on and off the lens. I just take the cap/cover off, clip on the filter holder/hood, etc, as required and I'm good to go.

Jan Pedersen
18-Jan-2012, 06:52
Forgot to check it last night but i am almost certain that the Nikon 90/4.5 takes a 77mm filter as the SW 120/8 does. Will check tonight if the answer has not already been given.

Øyvind:D
18-Jan-2012, 07:06
nope, the Nikon large format brouchure says 82mm, and also the drawing. Both 210 and 120mm uses 77mm

Bob Salomon
18-Jan-2012, 07:13
The 90mm 6.8 Grandagon-N has a 67mm front thread. Its center filter has an 86mm front thread. If you were to use the center filter you have to mount it directly to the lens first and then mount any other filter to its front. This is the same with any center filter.

All in all 67mm is a rather small size to standardize on for large format work.

Ed Richards
18-Jan-2012, 07:44
> All in all 67mm is a rather small size to standardize on for large format work.

80mmXL 67
110mmXL 67
Sironar-n 210mm 67

Not a bad set.

Bob Salomon
18-Jan-2012, 09:10
> All in all 67mm is a rather small size to standardize on for large format work.

80mmXL 67
110mmXL 67
Sironar-n 210mm 67

Not a bad set.

You can't even standardize on 67mm with many of the better DSLR lenses much less with large format lenses when you make a lot of movements.

Noah A
18-Jan-2012, 09:22

80mmXL 67
110mmXL 67
Sironar-n 210mm 67

Not a bad set.

True, it's an amazing set. But in my opinion the 80XL and 110XL need center filters, so you're up to 86mm anyway.

The Rodenstock 90/6.8 may or may not need a CF, but due to it's different design and longer focal length I suspect it's less likely to need one than the 80XL.

It's smart to standardize as much as possible if you use filters (I don't). But do keep in mind that your plans may get thrown off if you need a CF.

Ed Richards
18-Jan-2012, 10:20
> But in my opinion the 80XL and 110XL need center filters, so you're up to 86mm anyway.

You must be a color photographer. Us b&w folks debate over whether the 47mm needs a center filter.:-)

I am not a purist, I have some step up rings to 77mm because I use some exotic filters that I want to use on as many lenses as I can. I am currently testing various sizes of filters on the 80 to see how they affect vignetting to decide if I want to standardize on step up rings to 77mm. I still use Lee for odd balls, like the 72XL and 47 with the center filter. But it is nice to have a small lens carry around kit with just a couple of filters, and 67 is about as small as you can go if you like wide lenses and movements.

IHS
18-Jan-2012, 10:22
Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I decided to bite the bullet and buy a lens that has a larger filter size but I can still use my Grad ND on, but I will have to buy a new Polarizer and such. Such is the way of photography.

Noah A
18-Jan-2012, 10:31
> But in my opinion the 80XL and 110XL need center filters, so you're up to 86mm anyway.

You must be a color photographer. Us b&w folks debate over whether the 47mm needs a center filter.:-)

Yep, I shoot color neg and often use a lot of front rise. The 80XL and to a lesser extent the 110XL had a pretty dramatic falloff. I could see liking the effect in B&W, or at least it would be easy to fix. But the falloff also came with a color shift that was annoying.

That's why I dumped my 80Xl and 110XL and replaced them with 75/4.5, 90/4.5 and 115/6.8 Grandagons. Of the three, I find only the 75 needs a CF.

I suspect the 90/6.8 Grandagon wouldn't need a CF for many uses/users so I still think it would be a good lens for the OP to check out.

Larry Gebhardt
18-Jan-2012, 12:18
I use the Caltar version of the Rodenstock Grandagon-N 90mm f/6.8, which has a 67mm filter ring.

Lachlan 717
18-Jan-2012, 14:15
Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I decided to bite the bullet and buy a lens that has a larger filter size but I can still use my Grad ND on, but I will have to buy a new Polarizer and such. Such is the way of photography.

Keep an eye out for linear (rather than circular) polarisers. They're often quite a bit cheaper.