PDA

View Full Version : 8x10 Questions

Michael Gaillard
17-Jan-2012, 12:54
I have been using 4x5s for the past 12 years or so, and have been considering purchasing an 8x10 for some time now. I think the time has finally come.

In pursuit of the right camera, I have been searching all the used sites and have noticed a wide array of sinars, a good amount of deardorffs, and some Cambo's as well. The rest are either new or incredibly expensive.

I'm also finding that most of the cameras that I found in excellent condition are often almost as expensive, if not equal or more than the prices of some seemingly great new cameras.

The top of my price range is probably around 2000, but I do see that many of the cameras being made these days (specifically Chamonix, Tachihara) are about 800 or so more than that.

Part of me thinks it is worth it to get one of the new ones, as it will be fully functional... although another part of me thinks a Sinar F2 would be a good bet because I would always be able to find replacement parts. I saw a couple Philips on ebay, but I'm concerned about not being able to rotate the back for verticals.

I shoot an equal amount inside and outside, and don't do a ton of hiking with the camera, so weight isn't of extreme importance. More important is rigidity, as I often shoot in heavy winds.

I am also looking for a great geared tripod for the 8x10... I've had the Manfrotto 405 Pro with a Gitzo G1325... which has been great for my 4x5, but I don't think it would suffice for the 8x10.

Any suggestions or advice would be much appreciated.

Ari
17-Jan-2012, 13:35
I had a great Toyo G 8x10, it cost under $1000 and was an amzing camera, and a pleasure to use.
If you're looking at monorails, it's a great value and great modular camera system, based on the venerable Sinar Norma line.

William Whitaker
17-Jan-2012, 14:22
Michael,

If you live somewhere you can rent equipment, that would be an option that would answer many questions before you make a large investment.

John Conway
17-Jan-2012, 14:26
Hey Ari, I just picked up a Calumet C1 8x10 in mint condition for well under a thousand. The C1 makes a great all around studio/field camera, although they are heavy at around 18 lbs aluminum and 14 lbs magnesium, they are the panzer tanks of 8x10 cameras. The camera was a favorite of Karsh and the Westons.

Peter Gomena
17-Jan-2012, 17:58
You can make a Sinar F2 work as an 8x10, but it would be a little shaky. I owned a 4x5 F2 and liked most things about the camera, but it was a little shaky. I'd go with a used Sinar P or P2. The Toyos are nice, fairly light weight.

Peter Gomena

Leigh
17-Jan-2012, 18:03
Do you want a field camera or a studio camera? Apples and oranges.

The 8x10 Tachihara is an excellent field camera, speaking from personal experience. About $1800 from Midwest at www.MPEX.com

The 8x10 Sinar F2 is an excellent camera if you get the real 8x10 version with the heavy-duty risers, not a converted 4x5.

- Leigh

r.e.
17-Jan-2012, 18:50
More important is rigidity, as I often shoot in heavy winds.

I am also looking for a great geared tripod for the 8x10... I've had the Manfrotto 405 Pro with a Gitzo G1325... which has been great for my 4x5, but I don't think it would suffice for the 8x10.

In normal circumstances, I think that a Gitzo 1325 (which I own) and a Manfrotto 405 (I own the 410 and the 405 is quite a bit beefier) would work fine with most 8x10 cameras. That said, both heads share the same quick release plate, which I think is the weak link. The plate moves, not a lot, but it does move. I recently purchased a Ries tripod and head and like the system a lot. Lately, I have also been screwing my cameras directly to the tripod crown. Not everybody likes this, but I am coming round to this approach. It has the considerable benefit of being rock solid.

I say "normal circumstances" because you say that you shoot in "heavy winds". To me, this is the main issue. I don't know what you consider heavy, but to me it means 25 mph/40 kph and up. If that's what you mean, I wonder whether the issue is camera/tripod stability or instead what you are going to do for a windscreen when you are trying to use an 8x10 camera in "heavy winds".

On the larger question, I would buy used. I have little doubt that with a little patience you can find a used, quality 8x10 in very good shape within your budget.

Kirk Gittings
17-Jan-2012, 18:53
That said, both heads share the same quick release plate, which I think is the weak link. The plate moves, not a lot, but it does move.

If all is in proper adjustment there should not be any movement. Where is the movement located? Where the plate seats? I have three of these and have owned 5 altogether and that is not a common problem.

John Conway
17-Jan-2012, 18:58
If your preference leans toward a field camera, the Toyo is a very nice camera as well. The late black versions are expensive, and prices are higher than ever, but the earlier tan colored models are cheaper and they are basically the same camera just a different color.I actually like the tan color models. There is one on ebay now at around 1900.00.I once had a Toyo 810M. Awesome cameras.

r.e.
17-Jan-2012, 19:15
If all is in proper adjustment there should not be any movement. Where is the movement located? Where the plate seats? I have three of these and have owned 5 altogether and that is not a common problem.

When I attach an Arca-Swiss rail to the Manfrotto plate, and jiggle the rail, there is some give in the plate. This happens both with the old style Arca rail, which takes the plate screw directly, and with the newer Arca rails, which require one to mate an Arca quick release to the Manfrotto quick release plate. I don't recall off the top of my head whether the give in the Manfrotto plate is from the screw in the slot or from the plate itself, or both, but it is there.

Don't get me wrong. I like the Manfrotto geared head and have used one for four years. It is pretty well balanced and gravity makes movement unlikely. While I didn't say so above, I have found that for practical purposes, the Manfrotto 410 has worked fine both with my 4x5 and 8x10. As I said, I have to jiggle the rail to see the give. In high winds, or with a camera that isn't well balanced over the head, I'm not so sure.

I will say that the Ries head that I recently acquired, while not geared, gives me more confidence about rigidity and that lately I have been playing with screwing my cameras directly to the tripod crowns of both my Gitzo 1325 and Ries. For me, screwing the camera directly to the crown was one of those simple revelations. It made me start thinking about all the "stuff" between the crown and the camera, and about quick release plates in particular, especially quick release plates on top of quick release plates :)

The big surprise for me was that I fell for the Ries tripods. I figured that they were Luddite territory. Then I tried one.

Brian Ellis
17-Jan-2012, 19:22
I've owned two Deardorff 8x10s. I think they're great cameras - simple, well-made, good bellows extension, a pleasure to use. You should be able to find one in excellent condition within your budget unless prices have risen dramatically recently.

I've never owned a Tachihara 8x10 but I've owned a couple 4x5s. They too were fine cameras. Tachihara makes, or at least used to make, two models of the 8x10, a double extension and a triple extension. The triple cost more and of course was heavier. I've seen both versions, they looked very nice but I haven't used them.

John Kasaian
17-Jan-2012, 19:34
Good old Deardorff v8

John NYC
17-Jan-2012, 20:39
Bruce doesn't make them anymore, but I love my Wehman lightweight. It is as light as most 4x5 cameras and very sturdy. When closed it is almost indestructible in its metal casing. You might find one used if you put up a want to buy ad here. I almost parted with mine in a fit of mid-winter craziness.

If I myself were buying *new* right now (and so obviously couldn't get the Wehman), I'd either go low-end with a Tachihara or all-in and spring for a Canham or a Ritter.

Alan Gales
17-Jan-2012, 22:08
I second what John NYC says about the Wehman. I purchased a nice used one with extras for $1,500.00. I have seen a few other used examples go for about the same price.

Gordy
19-Jan-2012, 15:28
One more plug for Deardorff V8. Solid, efficient, and a pleasure to use.

E. von Hoegh
19-Jan-2012, 15:30
Deardorff V8. Grows on you, and I don't mean like mold or a tumor. :)

Rod Klukas
20-Jan-2012, 09:36
The Arca-Swiss 8x10 is a very compact, portable and rigid camera. It has a very even, bright and brilliant GG/Fresnel to aid focus and composition. It weighs less than 10 lbs.
And with adapter boards you can use smaller boards such as 110x110 Arca-Swiss boards, or Linhof Technika type to, again, make it less bulky.
The excellent bail on the back allows for an easy loading of holder with less chance of moving camera while loading.
Might be something to look into...

John NYC
20-Jan-2012, 10:28
The Arca-Swiss 8x10 is a very compact, portable and rigid camera. It has a very even, bright and brilliant GG/Fresnel to aid focus and composition. It weighs less than 10 lbs.
And with adapter boards you can use smaller boards such as 110x110 Arca-Swiss boards, or Linhof Technika type to, again, make it less bulky.
The excellent bail on the back allows for an easy loading of holder with less chance of moving camera while loading.
Might be something to look into...

Which version? They seem to have three lines.

Michael Gaillard
20-Jan-2012, 13:00
Thanks to all for your advice!!