PDA

View Full Version : Pyrocat-HD questions

Peter Witkop
11-Nov-2003, 23:53
I'm getting ready to start testing/playing with pyrocat-hd, and I had a couple of questions. I was reading Sandy King's article on unblinkingeye.com, and he advises to use the slowest speed on a jobo processor to avoid general stain, or to add sodium sulfite to help combat this. I'll be using a jobo cpe2, which has only one speed, 75rpm. Does this qualify as slow enough, or should I also order some sodium sulfite? One other related question I had was the min. developer per sheet (I'll be using 4x5 sheets). I've heard a recomendation of both 75ml and 50ml per sheet. Would 50ml per sheet be exausted with extneded development (N+1 or N+2), or is 75 just a little more conservative? I use a 2521 tank, and the table on the side lists 270ml (IIRC) so 50ml per sheet would work well, but 75ml would be a rather full tank, and the motor on the cpe2 isn't terribly strong (though I've had no problems in the past). Thanks very much for any anwsers anyone might have.

Peter

Bill Jefferson
12-Nov-2003, 06:14
Hi Peter, I also use the CPE2 processor and use the 270 ml per tank if its full or not

Michael Kadillak
12-Nov-2003, 12:20
My drums bearly rotate on my CPP2 with Pyrocat and I get fabulous results. I would think that 75 RPM is way to fast. Unless someone else that has a similar Jobo unit can contradict this conclusion, I would be on the phone ordering the Sodium Sulfite. I have been using a consistent ratio of 250ml per 8x10 sheet of film or 3.1 ml/sq inch or 62.5 ml per 4x5 sheet. For a full drum of 4x5 in the 3010 drum, you would be looking at 625 ml of chemistry. Jobo lists a minimum volume of 500 ml as a starting point and individual testing would ascertain if this ration works for you. Good Luck

jerry brodkey
12-Nov-2003, 20:22
My CPP2 rotates at about 18-20 RPM's at the lowest level. I wonder if you could get your JOBO to rotate slower by using a voltage regulator? The JOBO people in Ann Arbor are very helpful. Why don't you give them a call and see what they think?

jerry brodkey
12-Nov-2003, 21:52
I don't know if I was clear. Maybe you can get your JOBO to run slower if you run it at a lower voltage.

Peter Witkop
12-Nov-2003, 22:42
Thanks very much for all the anwsers. I suspect I'll end up using some sodium sulfite. I will give JOBO a call too, and see about slowing the machine down, I hadn't thought of that. I'll have to test and see just how everything comes out. Tanks again for the suggestions.

Peter