PDA

View Full Version : Another Infamous Lens Comparison Pages Up. 3 Rare Voigtlanders!

Jim Galli
16-Jan-2012, 14:26
http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/31_Deluxe_Coupe/RichlyAppointedInteriors_5PortrEuryscopS.jpg (http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/31_Deluxe_Coupe/H-U-E_pg1.html)
richly appointed interiors

Click on the picture to take you to my pages.

Lenses compared are an "ordinary" 14" Heliar, a 36cm Universal Heliar, and a #5 Series III Portrait Euryscop 14" f4.5

Oh, and btw, I got the last good deal ever made from Eddie when I bought that Heliar :p :D

Feedback welcome. That's why I do this stuff.

darr
16-Jan-2012, 14:50
Thanks for the lens education Jim!
I do love your "#5 Euryscop @f14."

Darr

Mark MacKenzie
16-Jan-2012, 14:53
Jim, thanks again for doing these.

But besides the lens comparison, what film and processing and what exposure here. Did you do some kind of compensating developing to get such tones? Is it manipulated digitally? Does it look just as beautiful printed?
Thanks, I'm a big fan...
Mark

Richard Rankin
16-Jan-2012, 14:56
That Heliar definitely looks like a keeper. Those shots are terrific.

Richard

Jim Galli
16-Jan-2012, 15:12
Thanks for the lens education Jim!
I do love your "#5 Euryscop @f14."

Darr

Jim, thanks again for doing these.

But besides the lens comparison, what film and processing and what exposure here. Did you do some kind of compensating developing to get such tones? Is it manipulated digitally? Does it look just as beautiful printed?
Thanks, I'm a big fan...
Mark

That Heliar definitely looks like a keeper. Those shots are terrific.

Richard

Thanks!

Film is Efke 100 "Cirkut Camera" film that I bought in 10" X 100' foot rolls a few years back from J&C classic. I put 10 rolls in the freezer and have used up 6 so far. I chop it at 8" and load. About .65 cents a shot, which is why I can afford to waste 15 sheets playing in an afternoon. The Efke is just now beginning to get a "little long in the tooth." Just a bit more film base plus fog than when I first got it.

I rate it at 125 asa, and develop in Pyrocat HD. Exposure in open shade were mostly 1/25th, or as fast as the Packard shutter will go. Light was falling off near the end and the cowl lamp shots were 2/25th's. Simply hit the Packard bulb twice. Nice thing about static subjects. Interior shots were 1/2 - 3/4 seconds.

The negatives are robust and would print beautifully on a good #2 paper. These are just inverted scans. Yes, there's a lot of dust when you handle the film as much as I do cutting and loading from a long roll.

voigtf64
16-Jan-2012, 15:19
you are a class act, have to say the euryscop does it for me

Jim Galli
16-Jan-2012, 15:25
you are a class act, have to say the euryscop does it for me

What's this f64 stuff?? :D:D

Yeah, me too.

ljsegil
16-Jan-2012, 16:29
Great shots, great glass, got to give a lot of love to those lenses. That Euryscop just sings, though I think she's pining for a bouquet to shoot. And a Heliar never disappoints. Who needs depth of field anyway?
Larry

Hugo Zhang
16-Jan-2012, 16:48
Keep them all and all are good!!! I should shoot more with Universal Heliar too. :)

Jim Galli
16-Jan-2012, 16:55
Thanks Larry. Thanks Hugo.

Emil Schildt
16-Jan-2012, 17:04
Why the Yuck with the universal heliar at soft at 5?
Too much?

I don't have a 360mm U heliar, but a 300 and I love it to bits.

But I think I need to try my portrait euryscop out....

Beautiful tones!

Mark Sawyer
16-Jan-2012, 20:12
The way the Euryscop handled the vase on the third page did it for me. Maybe it was just the momentary incident of the light, but it just had a presence...

(from Jim's page):

...and thus, a Model A Ford is a near perfect muse for me.

It's the muse you can use! :D That's my approach, find something that speaks to you, and try to do it justice.

Jim Galli
16-Jan-2012, 20:22
Thanks Emil and Mark.

I just didn't like that full on soft image. Operator error I'm sure. With the right subject and light, dynamite.

Mark Sawyer
16-Jan-2012, 20:31
I just didn't like that full on soft image. Operator error I'm sure. With the right subject and light, dynamite.

As you well know, you gotta have the right instrument for the right music. It's hard to play the oboe on a piano. Some images want this lens, some impressions want that lens, some light wants a third option...

And we're always learning, feeling our way...

goamules
17-Jan-2012, 06:14
Great little photo story you told again. I like the camp car shot of you with your family in the old days. These lenses all create a look that feels right out of a 1920s car ad to me. Very old feel in all regards, and very fun to look at.

eddie
17-Jan-2012, 06:42
Oh, and btw, I got the last good deal ever made from Eddie when I bought that Heliar :p :D

you mean GAVE you! :p

great series as usual!

William Whitaker
17-Jan-2012, 07:29
Thanks Jim! That was a fun ride!

Allen in Montreal
17-Jan-2012, 07:35
Wow, thanks Jim.
can't say why, but I like the Heliar best. :) :)

Jim Galli
17-Jan-2012, 08:11
Thanks guys.

renes
17-Jan-2012, 08:53
Thanks Jim for another great lens comparison! And for sharing with your work.
For me Euryscope shines here over Heliars. The "modeling" quality of this lens you have already mentioned, is simpy wonderful.

Jim Graves
18-Jan-2012, 11:26
I gotta vote for the "ordinary" Heliar ... I think I like the deeper shadows.