PDA

View Full Version : Ebony cameras and wide lenses

Ed Richards
15-Jan-2012, 21:20
I have a 45SU, which in theory will let you use a 47mmXL on a flat lens board. Of course, this is if you can stand to crank the lens into the body until you are afraid things are going to break and you do not use any movements. (I use a recessed board.) My real complaint, and warning, is that the bag bellows will not stay out of the image path. You need to take the camera back off and make sure the bellows is out of the light path.

Note to Ebony - copy the Sinar bag bellows. Durable, and stays out of the way.

Brian Ellis
15-Jan-2012, 21:30
The bag bellows I bought for my 45 TE didn't fit properly, unfortunately ruining a bunch of photographs before I discovered the misfit. It had to be returned to the factory and repaired or replaced. The second version worked fine.

John Brady
16-Jan-2012, 04:34
I have a 45SU, which in theory will let you use a 47mmXL on a flat lens board. Of course, this is if you can stand to crank the lens into the body until you are afraid things are going to break and you do not use any movements. (I use a recessed board.)

I have to use a recessed board on mine with the 47xl also, I thought it was just me. I also use a recessed board with mine but it's very tough to get your fingers in there.

I recently picked up a Cambo Wide with a 47xl, now that's the way to work with the 47!
www.timeandlight.com

dave_whatever
16-Jan-2012, 07:38
Something like an SW45 or RSW45 would handle your 47xl easier. Its a lot to ask of a camera to have 14" of extension and still handle an ultrawide.

Ed Richards
16-Jan-2012, 09:18
> Something like an SW45 or RSW45 would handle your 47xl easier.

Or just stick my Sinar F2 back in the trunk. It does fine with everything, but is a pain to carry.

The 45SU is the best compromise light weight camera. The compromises are with wide lenses. I looked hard at the SW45, but really did not want to give up longer lenses or carry two cameras. But if the camera fairy brought me one, I would find room for it in the trunk.:-)

darr
17-Jan-2012, 06:31
Hi Ed,

While I cannot comment on your 'beautiful 45SU' (I sold mine 2 years ago and replaced it with a 45S, and the widest lens I used on it was a Rodenstock 90 f/4.5), I just wanted to say that I went over to your site and viewed your remarkable work. You are in my opinion, making an invaluable cultural collection with your Southern Louisiana project. I will be visiting your site more! BTW, Happy New Year as well; may the good light be with you. :)

Kind regards,
Darr

Ed Richards
17-Jan-2012, 06:49
Thanks Darr! I would rather shoot than program, so the galleries are a little behind my work. I will take some time to update more often.

I tried the 47mm on the F2, and there was so much room left I could probably use a 38mm. So the Sinar goes back in the trunk for when I need wide and do not have to carry things very far.