PDA

View Full Version : Eastman View Camera Questions

norm the storm
15-Jan-2012, 11:58
Hi everybody

I'm interested by this camera. I want to know what is the normal lens for this camera,
is it 450mm? How to put it on a tripod? Should I have a specific film holder?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Eastman-View-Camera-11-x-14-Large-Format-Camera-/170762685843?_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D1%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D5632558608717021921

Gene McCluney
15-Jan-2012, 15:08
The specific camera you are referencing in your link is missing the sliding tripod block, so there is no way to mount it on a tripod in a balanced manner. It also appears to be missing the rear detachable focusing rail (rear extension track), which will severely limit the choices of lenses, and the ability to close focus. (closer than infinity).

Yes, you need at least one standard 11x14 sheet film holder, to be able to use this camera, and one lens of probably no longer focal length than 365mm, considering the limited length of focusing track available here.

norm the storm
16-Jan-2012, 06:10
The specific camera you are referencing in your link is missing the sliding tripod block, so there is no way to mount it on a tripod in a balanced manner. It also appears to be missing the rear detachable focusing rail (rear extension track), which will severely limit the choices of lenses, and the ability to close focus. (closer than infinity).

Yes, you need at least one standard 11x14 sheet film holder, to be able to use this camera, and one lens of probably no longer focal length than 365mm, considering the limited length of focusing track available here.

Thank you Gene for the explanation.
I am a newbe in LF. I realize too that this seller does not know his stuff and the camera.
Regards

Bill_1856
16-Jan-2012, 06:27
It looks to me like this camera isn't designed for a sliding tripod block (there's only a single groove where the focusing mechanism slides). It's just bolted directly to the tripod head.

John Kasaian
16-Jan-2012, 09:23
Norm, the issue that needs to be addressed with 11x14 (which is a super format, btw) is the cost of film holders. Yikes!

John Jarosz
16-Jan-2012, 12:13
Don't know if you've already bid or not but,

1, I agree you'll need a fairly short FL lens because of the absence of the rear rail.
2, Film holders are expensive. Don't know your expectations or budget.
3, While the bellows appears newish, pinholes or other unknown/unmentioned defects could cost a lot to fix. He lists no returns in the ad.
4. You seem to be jumping in with both feet into a Very Large Format. Maybe some of your background history could help. You still have 5 days left on the auction.
5. You'll need a rigid tripod. (please don't say you're taking this to the Himalayas) :-)
6. What are your probable subjects... and process? Silver, alt?

john

norm the storm
26-Jan-2012, 11:37
Don't know if you've already bid or not but,

1, I agree you'll need a fairly short FL lens because of the absence of the rear rail.
2, Film holders are expensive. Don't know your expectations or budget.
3, While the bellows appears newish, pinholes or other unknown/unmentioned defects could cost a lot to fix. He lists no returns in the ad.
4. You seem to be jumping in with both feet into a Very Large Format. Maybe some of your background history could help. You still have 5 days left on the auction.
5. You'll need a rigid tripod. (please don't say you're taking this to the Himalayas) :-)
6. What are your probable subjects... and process? Silver, alt?

john

I did'nt bid. I prefer to wait for now.
Thank you for the advises.