PDA

View Full Version : "NEW" darkcloth

Richard Martel
10-Nov-2003, 17:48
I had the opportunity to try out a new darkcloth. It is made like a jacket from aluminized cloth...And it works great. It's called "Blackjacket". Check out; quietworks.com .It is light and easy to use. After focusing the "jacket" just folds up over the camera and you insert the filmholder, rotating the back is just as easy. I have no affiliation with this company.... Richard

Tom Westbrook
10-Nov-2003, 18:49
I wonder how it holds up to low temperatures? My BTZS cloth is suffering from the plastic(?) coating cracking in temps below about 10F. Sounds like this one is coated, but it's not clear with what sort of material.

Ernest Purdum
10-Nov-2003, 19:17
Brrr. (I started to send the preceding by itself, but got a message saying I must insert at leasr eight characters.)

tim atherton
10-Nov-2003, 19:20
"I wonder how it holds up to low temperatures? My BTZS cloth is suffering from the plastic(?) coating cracking in temps below about 10F. Sounds like this one is coated, but it's not clear with what sort of material."

thats the single most annoying thing abouyt the BTZS cloth - whioch is otherwise excellent. Mine has peeling coating in several places due to this.

When I bought they said they'd fixed the problem and tested it. When I found the same poblem and called them back they said - well we tested it by sticking it in the freezer down here in Arizona, pulling it out and it was fine.

...Doh!

Great way to simulate -20 to -40c temperatures...

Now I don't use it from October to May - one of this winters projects is to copy the design in something that works

Tom Westbrook
11-Nov-2003, 05:05
"Doh!", indeed. It is sort of hopeful that this 'Blackjacket' cloth is made in Idaho, though they don't really get temp extremes in Boise but perhaps it's been used at altitude or Yellowstone, etc. I'd want some assurance that it worked in the cold before shelling out $75 for it. I'd guess that anything with a coating would crack/peel in low temps, though.

Anyway, Tim, let me know if you come up with a good idea. My feeling is that absolute opacity isn't really required, so long as it's dark enough. So maybe a coule of layers of some fairly tightly woven fabric would do--light outside, dark inside. I'd also think that the elastic should be able to cinched tight (like the waist tightener on a coat). No velcro, though--it's a nightmare with fleece gloves!

Daniel Blakeslee
11-Nov-2003, 05:32
Last week I inquired about a Blackjacket for 8x10 cameras since their website only mentions one size which fits 4x5 and 5x7. They told me that as of 11/10 they would be selling Blackjackets for 8x10 ($90.00). They look good, so I will probably waste more of my money on photography and get one. I'm not entirely satisfied with my BTZS cloths which never seem to fit just right.

John D Gerndt
11-Nov-2003, 08:11
Please consider going to a tailor or seamstress and having something made to order. You might be surprised how good and how cheap this process can turn out something as simple as a dark cloth.

John

Matt Miller
11-Nov-2003, 09:16
My mother's favorite hobby is sewing. As kids, my sisters & I wore lots of homemade clothes. Last year I had her make a darkcloth for me. I explained what I wanted and she took some measurements. It took about $15 dollars in materials and a couple of hours.

tim atherton
11-Nov-2003, 11:59
The silverized material of my Harrison Darkloth doesn't have a problem with extreme cold. It's light, packs fairty small (and is also massive) - it would certainly be enough material to make a pirated BTZS darkcloth for 8x10 - but with my sewing skills I'm a bit loath to chop it up.... (and it makes a great raincover for everyhting if you are cought in a shower)

My first darkloth was home made. Very lightweight and lightproof, but a little smooth and shiny. But if it was chopped up and made into a BTZS style elasticated tube, the smooth part wouldn't really matter (it wouldn't keep sliding off you) - might try that

bob moulton
11-Nov-2003, 18:28
Search for the perfect darkcloth? I've had similar BTZS problems plus the cloth never quite matching the camera. So I had a seamstress make a BTZS like cloth, no holes for rear knobs, no too clingy elastic, no white rubberized material. Same size and similar configuration, black sude is ultra suede, white side cotton. Works well. Were i to do it again i'd try goretes in white. Bob

Paul Kierstead
11-Nov-2003, 19:14
Jeez, I was just about to lay out bucks for the BTZS one, but I fully intend to shoot in the winter and here temps easily get to -20 Celsius.

Any other suggestions?

David R Munson
11-Nov-2003, 19:24
I still haven't found anything that beats the darkcloth I had my mother sew for me. it's about 3x4', white "blackout" cloth on one side and black corduroy on the other. Plenty big for 4x5 and 8x10, the black cordury just eats up stray light when you're underneath it, the texture of the cordury means it doesn't slip off the camera when you don't want it to, and it's surprisingly warm whe you wrap it around your shoulders in the winter time when you're waiting for the light to change or something. The white outside also keeps you from baking in the summertime when you're shooting in bright sunlight. Those partial to lightweight solutions like the BTZS cloth probably wouldn't like this thing (it's fairly heavy and bulky) but I think it's worth a try for most people and you can't beat the price.

tim atherton
11-Nov-2003, 19:53
"Jeez, I was just about to lay out bucks for the BTZS one, but I fully intend to shoot in the winter and here temps easily get to -20 Celsius."

seriously, the BTZS one gets very stiff at not far below freezing and after that it's very easy to crack the waterproff surfcae coating/layer.

I'd say that Blackjacket looks pretty good if they've actually tested it in the cold. The Harrison cloth is good - basically just a rectangle with velcro - but it's big even for 8x10.

Ron Bose
12-Nov-2003, 09:45
It's really interesting to see the two 'schools of thought' regarding dark cloths.

The BTZS and the Blackjacket hang off the rear standard, whereas I use my dark-cloth to envelope my camera (except for the front of course) as described in the old article in VC.

Interesting ....

tim atherton
12-Nov-2003, 09:47
"The BTZS and the Blackjacket hang off the rear standard, whereas I use my dark-cloth to envelope my camera (except for the front of course) as described in the old article in VC."

why - exactly - do you want to do that?

Ron Bose
12-Nov-2003, 18:08
"why - exactly - do you want to do that?"

Three reasons, first I have a Harrison Dark Cloth which almost drapes on the ground if it were wrapped around the rear-standard.

Secondly, I have an ancient Ansco, which likely has the odd 'leak'. Wrapping the cloth around avoids the issue.

And thirdly, I get less attention when the camera itself is hidden under the cloth - don't ask why, it just do ....

And the most important reason of all - it works for me.

Why Tim, am I doing something wrong ?

tim atherton
12-Nov-2003, 18:15
No Ron, not at all - I was genuinely interested (after I posted I remembered the idea of old cameras with leaky bellows thing - since my old Dorff had brand new bellos and my Phillips obviously does, I'd forgotten about that).

Are you using 4x5 or 8x10 - I know what you mean about the Harrison! Even on 8x10 it's big (but as I only really use it in the winter I just drop it in the snow once I've focused...) but you could bivouac under it. As for the attention - another thing with the Phillips - it's much more stealth bomber than victorian furniture - it's far less conspicuous than the Dorff was.

Ron Bose
13-Nov-2003, 08:06
http://www.ebonycamera.com/acc.html

When I was lurking about the Ebony website I saw the above image of their dark cloth in use and I started to use mine like the picture shows and seems to work pretty well.

My Ansco is an 8x10, but I also have a 4x5 Wisner, for which I use the smaller Toyo lens cloth. With the cloth covering the whole camera the wood and leather are out of the sun. When I'm ready to slot in a film-holder, I just fold the cloth up on to the camera and I have access to the back.

The Ansco is my cheap entry into 8x10, a Phillips is on the wish list ...

Keith S. Walklet
15-Nov-2003, 17:44
Greetings,

I was notified that this discussion about the BLACKJACKET(TM) was underway and have checked back periodically to monitor the progress. As the manufacturer of the BLACKJACKET(TM), I've hesitated to make a posting myself, since I was under the impression it was verboten.

I've received a number of questions off-line from individuals who have contributed to this discussion, and one encouraging me to post my own response. I am happy to use this forum to answer any of your questions, if the membership would like to hear from me.

Ken Strauss
15-Nov-2003, 19:17
Please comment on using the BLACKJACKET at low temperatures.

tim atherton
15-Nov-2003, 19:41
Keith is sending me some material samples to test - it was -20c for the Santa Parade tonight... :-(

Keith S. Walklet
15-Nov-2003, 22:31
I've been testing the BLACKJACKET(TM) for three years in conditions that most people encounter. That is from temps in the single digits Farenheit to over 100 with no problems. As I wrote to Tim, I have not had the pleasure of routine sub-zero temps to work in. So I have asked if he would be willing to test the behavior of some fabric samples for me in the more demanding environment of Yellowknife where Christmas parades are held in minus 20c temps.

The BLACKJACKET(TM) is constructed of a tight weave black nylon tafetta with an Alumnized polyester coating that as far as I can tell is akin to Latex paint. This appears to be the same stuff that film changing tents are made of. It is very flexible, though I imagine like most things (myself included), it would lose some of its flexibility in extreme sub-zero temps.

I own an early BTZS hood, and a friend who stopped by today has a newer model of that product. Comparatively speaking, the orignal BTZS (I am guessing it was purchased in the early 1990s) was constructed of a lighter weight, but similar fabric, that is slightly stiffer than the tafetta I use. The coating on the original BTZS is gray and does not appear to be as densely applied as the Aluminized polyester of the BLACKJACKET(TM) tafetta.

The newer BTZS hood that my friend brought by was made of a much heavier nylon with a more densely applied gray coating. This fabric had a much stiffer feel and seemed to weigh double the earlier BTZS hood. I would compare that fabric to what is called "blackout" fabric, commonly available in fabric stores which is used in constructing drapes.

There is no comparison with regard to ease of use in super cold conditions. The BLACKJACKET(TM) is easily attached and removed from the camera and it has no Velcro seams to snag my wool Fingermitts, nor is it necessary to open and close any seams to use your focusing loupe.

You still have to hold your breath when focusing (though you can try exhaling out a sleeve) to prevent the ground glass from frosting. I've been pondering this issue as well. I have some ideas, but don't know how practical they are.

In summary, I feel the Standard BLACKJACKET(TM) will meet the needs of 99% of photographers and I am working on a solution that will take care of even that last 1%.

I hope this information helps.

Tom Westbrook
16-Nov-2003, 06:01
Thanks a million, Keith, for that detailed info. I'll be looking forward to hearing Tim's impressions after he's tried the fabric. Your description sounds very encouraging, though.

Matt Miller
16-Nov-2003, 07:59
Regarding holding your breath under the darkcloth in cold temps; I have often wondered how a short breathing tube sewn into the bottom of the darkcloth would work. Something you could use to breathe in and our of your mouth with. It would have to be short as not to get in the way when not using it.

Keith S. Walklet
16-Nov-2003, 11:02
My pleasure Tom. I know few folks who wouldn't jump at the opportunity to wax on about their progeny! And Matt, there is an answer there waiting for us to figure it out. You are headed in the right direction. Onward!