PDA

View Full Version : Velostigmat 12"

John Conway
13-Jan-2012, 22:24
I have this lens that I plan on using on my C1. It was mounted on an studio camera I purchased. It is a Wollensak velostigmat 12" focus series IV f/6.3 # 298798 in betax #4 shutter.Before I mount the lens, I would like to get a few opinions on it.

Mark Sawyer
13-Jan-2012, 22:54
It's a nice, inexpensive moderate-speed Tessar made for an 8x10. Shut it down to around f/22 for maximum sharpness, but I'd use it at any aperture for contact printing. I'd guess it's uncoated, so expect a little flare if you point it towards a bright ligdt. And expect that classic old silky-smooth tonal scale. Tessars are lovely lenses...

John Conway
13-Jan-2012, 23:07
Thanks Mark. I was just looking through the lens under a lamp. It doesn't have that really clear look that my modern lenses have. I don't know if it is a slight haze or cloudiness that I am looking at, or maybe it is just the way an old Tessar looks under strong light.

Mark Sawyer
14-Jan-2012, 10:48
Sometimes a haze will build up over the decades, but usually wipes off easily if you disassemble the lens. Do it carefully, and keep the lens elements in their original orientation and rotation. It should be a very usable lens capable of fine images.

John Conway
14-Jan-2012, 11:57
Thanks again Mark, I will give the lens a nice cleaning today. Although my main interest is black and white, I may run a few sheets of color through as well. An image in Using The View Camara, made by Morly Baer, using an older lens and tungsten balanced film with filter correction, is a nice example.

E. von Hoegh
14-Jan-2012, 11:59
Those old F6.3 Tessars are pretty damn good. Sharper, a bit more coverage, and better contrast than the 4.5 versions. Is it coated?

All lenses new or old, if clean, will be perfectly clear

John Conway
14-Jan-2012, 12:06
I don't know if it is coated or not. When I hold it up into the lamp light, I don't see any multi colored circles.

Lynn Jones
17-Jan-2012, 10:37
Every Velostigmat I have ever seen (last 6 decades) was a 3 element. Some were good, some not so good.
\Lynn

E. von Hoegh
17-Jan-2012, 10:41
Every Velostigmat I have ever seen (last 6 decades) was a 3 element. Some were good, some not so good.
\Lynn

I have an "Enlarging Velostigmat" that is superb. 4 elements, an Artar clone. I've never seen a 3 element Velostigmat, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. I have an old Tessar type - 4 element- Velostigmat.

John Conway
17-Jan-2012, 18:48
After cleaning my lens I realized that the shutter is not working. It was working , but the speeds were off, and now it's not working at all. So I now need to get the shutter serviced. Keh come to mind, and I think I'll send it to them for a repair quote.

John Kasaian
17-Jan-2012, 23:23
Carol at Flutot's for shutter work She's really good!