PDA

View Full Version : Soft Focus Options for Velostigmat?

Tim Layton
12-Jan-2012, 17:55
I was wondering if anyone knew of any soft focus options for a 6 3/8" F4.5 Series II Velostigmat? I've found other posts by Jim Galli for longer versions of this lens, such as the 8 1/4", but haven't seen anything on the shorter lens. I picked this lens up as a general all purpose lens for my 4x5 when I am traveling and until I find a proper soft focus lens I was hoping someone could share some wisdom on this lens for soft focus options.

In a post by Jim as well as thread that I found on another forum, there is discussion about reversing the rear element, but that isn't a viable option for this lens. Also, there was mention of unscrewing the front element a bit which obviously may be an option.

I just made my lens board and need to let it dry overnight before I mount the lens on it. I can start playing around with options tomorrow.

Thanks

Tim

Lachlan 717
12-Jan-2012, 18:17
Tim,

Have you looked at this thread? (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=57385&highlight)

Tim Layton
12-Jan-2012, 18:24
Tim,

Have you looked at this thread? (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=57385&highlight)

Yes, I did read it, but unless I am missing something it doesn't apply to the shorter 6 3/8" lens because it is physically different.

Thanks!

Jim Noel
12-Jan-2012, 18:53
You might try unscrewing the front element about 1/8 a turn and see what happens. That is the way my longer V II works. It accomplishes 5 levels of softness.

Louis Pacilla
12-Jan-2012, 18:59
You might try unscrewing the front element about 1/8 a turn and see what happens. That is the way my longer V II works. It accomplishes 5 levels of softness.

You need to add additional space between the two front elements of the front group. simply unscrewing the front group will not add softness.

goamules
12-Jan-2012, 19:41
Tim, there's a thread here somewhere with Mark Sawyer or Jim Galli I think took a "non soft adjustable" Velostigmat and altered it to be soft. I think it was Jim, and he unscrewed the front glass only in the front element, and put some kind of ring spacer in. In effect you manually do what the adjustable versions do; separate the two front glasses.

Tim Layton
12-Jan-2012, 20:06
Tim, there's a thread here somewhere with Mark Sawyer or Jim Galli I think took a "non soft adjustable" Velostigmat and altered it to be soft. I think it was Jim, and he unscrewed the front glass only in the front element, and put some kind of ring spacer in. In effect you manually do what the adjustable versions do; separate the two front glasses.

I found the thread that I think you are talking about but the info does not apply to my lens (but maybe I am mistaken). I also found something on Jim's website, but I think it only applies to the longer lenses. My 6 3/8" lens is not a barrel. I will keep digging and maybe someone else will come up with something.

Tim

Tim Layton
12-Jan-2012, 20:12
Here is a quick snapshot of my little 6 3/8" freshly mounted on my 4x5 field camera. No photos yet, that is next...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/timlayton65/6687752759/in/photostream

Tim

Mark Sawyer
12-Jan-2012, 22:03
Tim, the Series II Velostigmats were all f/4.5 Tessars, so the same principles apply, If you can move the front element (not the whole front cell) forward, it will work as a soft focus lens. Wollensak only offered it as an option on early versions of their longer Velostigmats, probably because those were the ones for the bigger cameras in the professional studios. I'd guess you need to move the front element forward about 1/8 to 1/4 inch. The trick will be getting the front "beauty ring" (the one with all the writing) off, finding a proper spacer, and having enough threads left at the front of the barrel to reassemble. Hope to see some good results from it if you make the attempt!

Lachlan 717
13-Jan-2012, 02:39
The trick will be getting the front "beauty ring" (the one with all the writing) off, finding a proper spacer, and having enough threads left at the front of the barrel to reassemble.

This is covered in the tread I linked earlier in this thread… With photos.

goamules
13-Jan-2012, 06:40
This is covered in the tread I linked earlier in this thread… With photos.

Yeah, Mark wrote that thread and took those pictures!

Tim Layton
13-Jan-2012, 10:36
Here is my first photo from the 6 3/8" Velo

http://www.flickr.com/photos/timlaytonsr/6690566335/in/photostream

Lachlan 717
13-Jan-2012, 10:54
Yeah, Mark wrote that thread and took those pictures!

I was referring the OP back to my post up near the top of the thread, Garrett.

Tim Layton
13-Jan-2012, 17:20
I am not able to get the front lens ring off. It has the two small slots that I have gently used a small flat blade screwdriver to get it moving, but no luck. Any tricks, tips or suggestions??

Thanks!

Jon Shiu
13-Jan-2012, 17:31
You need a device called an adjustable lens spanner. It is also possible to make one out a pair of scissors, a file and some type of clamps. The element also needs to be held still in some type of vise that you can make out of some blocks of wood and clamps. Also sometimes the threads are painted so need to be scraped off.

Jon

Tim Layton
13-Jan-2012, 17:58
You need a device called an adjustable lens spanner. It is also possible to make one out a pair of scissors, a file and some type of clamps. The element also needs to be held still in some type of vise that you can make out of some blocks of wood and clamps. Also sometimes the threads are painted so need to be scraped off.

Jon

Jon, I just went and bought a lens spanner wrench... I need one anyway and this is as good of time as any to get one. Thanks for the suggestion.

Does anyone have a tip or suggestion on where to get some thin, 1/8" rubber in a sheet so I can make a custom cut spacer for the lens? I haven't been to my local hardware store yet, so that might be an option. If there are any online places I would just probably order it.

Tim

Michael Clark
13-Jan-2012, 20:51
Jon, I just went and bought a lens spanner wrench... I need one anyway and this is as good of time as any to get one. Thanks for the suggestion.

Does anyone have a tip or suggestion on where to get some thin, 1/8" rubber in a sheet so I can make a custom cut spacer for the lens? I haven't been to my local hardware store yet, so that might be an option. If there are any online places I would just probably order it.

Tim

Go to an auto parts store or air conditioner repair place, ask for "O" rings there are hundreds of thickness and sizes.you might be able to get nylon washers also.

Mike

Tim Layton
13-Jan-2012, 21:05
Go to an auto parts store or air conditioner repair place, ask for "O" rings there are hundreds of thickness and sizes.you might be able to get nylon washers also.

Mike

Mike, now that is a good idea!