PDA

View Full Version : Tri-X tested at E.I. 800; what...?

Renato Tonelli
9-Jan-2012, 22:48
Tested Tri-X 4x5 (again) and developed it in X-TOL 1+1 (mixed with distilled water) in Jobo ATL-1500. The densitometer readings confirm my E.I. at 800!

How is this possible? I am somewhat suspicious. Has anyone encountered similar results?

I did two batches of six negatives: one developed in the Jobo and the other by inversion - same results. I shot an urban landscape at 320 and 800; the first one is super dense and the second looks normal. The lens' shutter is accurate (1/60th).

This is the second time doing a speed test using Tri-X with X-TOL 1+1. The first time, I was just as incredulous at the results and sent the second batch to R.Ritter who confirmed the negative rated at 800 as the proper Zone I exposure.

Since that time, I have been shooting E6 Fuji Neopan Acros 100 QL's in B&W, so I just set aside those results.

Previously, I was using the old Tri-X with HC110 and and was rating it at 250.

I am setting aside these results again. I am leaving on a trip tomorrow and will be shooting some of my Polaroid 55 stash and Fuji Neopan Acros 100 QL. (The Neopan tested at full box speed with X-TOL).

Brian Legge
9-Jan-2012, 23:23
What times are you using for inversion development? I picked up a packet of XTOL and will be using it as soon as my HC110 supply is exhausted.

Renato Tonelli
10-Jan-2012, 05:57
What times are you using for inversion development? I picked up a packet of XTOL and will be using it as soon as my HC110 supply is exhausted.

I used Kodak's published times for the speed test (my notes are at work). I will be doing the second phase of the test (normal development test) when I get back from vacation.

Sal Santamaura
10-Jan-2012, 09:29
I can't help you with inversion, but here are my results for rotary processing of 320TXP.

All exposures measured with a Zone VI-modified Pentax digital spot meter that reads appropriately when used for commercially processed transparencies, so its calibration is correct. Lens shutters calibrated. Jobo expert drums running at the "F" setting on a CPA-2 with the latest motor, i.e. actual rotation speed 46 rpm. A 5-minute distilled water presoak. EI determined by measuring 0.1 above fb-f using a calibrated densitometer.

In order to ensure the minimum stock solution per sheet (100 ml) while retaining flexibility for a longer time in case ambient temperature is high, I run Xtol at 1:1.5 for 4 8x10 sheets in a 3004 drum. EI is 500 when developed for 7 minutes 15 seconds at 75 degrees F.

I've also run 5 sheets of 5x7 in a 3005 using Xtol at 1:3 (250ml stock) for 8 minutes 30 seconds at 75 degrees F. EI in this case is 640.

For comparison, following the same protocol, 4 sheets of 5x7 320TXP in the 3005 results in an EI of 500 when developed by ID-11 1:1 for 7 minutes 0 seconds at 75 degrees F. However, that's using 250 ml stock per 80 square inches of film, the minimum for D-76/ID-11.

In all cases, I expose "real" pictures a full stop more than the formally-determined EI. In other words, for Xtol 1:1.5 and ID-11 1:1, my field exposures are made at EI 250. For Xtol 1:3, pictures are exposed at 320. This does indeed result in negatives that appear more dense than you might be used to, but it moves the image up off 320TXP's toe. That provides a look to low values I like much better, while still retaining the rising curve starting around Zone VI that so well matches my Azo paper.