PDA

View Full Version : Fuji GX617 Ground Glass Focusing Screen. Essential for use shooting with filters etc.

njrfotografia
9-Jan-2012, 13:56
Hi all!
Just a broad open enquiry about the Ground Glass Focusing Screen for the Fuji GX617 camera... With use with common ND grad filters and any other filters really, are one of these screens essential and necessary to get the filter positioning and other relating factors pin point accurate, which is only achievable whilst looking through the lens, rather than relying on guestimation? Any other info which can be provided will be appreciated! Cheers!
N†

john wood
9-Jan-2012, 22:51
I had one with a Fotoman...used it a few times, then nevermore. Once I could recall how GG related to each viewfinder, framing wasn't an issue. As for grads...since most are used horizontally, and a soft-edge grad's going to cover 1/3 of the lens with just the gradient, again, this is one you can just guesstimate. Only time I really needed one was with using grads vertically, to block out the sun on the right, while placing a hard-edge grad line right at the spot where a vertical cliff wall line clipped the sunset. Perhaps find some cheap GG cut to 6x17 (it's out there) and see how far you get with it. If it's indispensable, then drop the cash for the nice magnetic ones. 2 cents.

SMBooth
9-Jan-2012, 22:58
There hard to use on frames 2, 3 and 4... :)

john wood
9-Jan-2012, 23:02
Very good...yes, indeed! good for a one-composition roll :)

alexn
21-Jan-2012, 05:11
That is where a 617 back on a 4x5 or 5x7 really excells... Its more of a pain to set up and shoot, but you can use your GG between every shot, line up grads, see the effect of CPL filters etc.. Cant beat that..

Bob Salomon
21-Jan-2012, 05:30
That is where a 617 back on a 4x5 or 5x7 really excells... Its more of a pain to set up and shoot, but you can use your GG between every shot, line up grads, see the effect of CPL filters etc.. Cant beat that..

Can do this also with the Linhof 617 SIII with the accessory GG.

alexn
21-Jan-2012, 08:36
The SIII is in a class of its own though. Nothing comes close.