PDA

View Full Version : WTA : Price of Omega D5XL

Dan95
9-Jan-2012, 08:58
I was offered an omega D5xl for 1000USD.

Includes :
One schneider lens.

Rodenstock Omegaron 150mm F: 4.5 Lens with lensboard

Omega 4x5 D-D Mixing box

Premiere 4 in one easel

4 Negative Carriers (35mm, 6x6, 4x5 and 6x7)

Photronic Model CT-100 Densilator

Kodak 1A Safelight cat no 152 1517

Microsight focusing scope

Baseboard is not included but the basemount with all screws are included

Should I go for it ?

Dan95
9-Jan-2012, 09:01
How does it stand without a base board? So my only choice is to project the image to a wall.. Now, can I even rotate the head to project the image to a wall?

Thanks

Jon Shiu
9-Jan-2012, 09:10
That's way too much money.

Jon

Dan95
9-Jan-2012, 09:11

Jon

How much do you reckon i should pay ?

Nathan Potter
9-Jan-2012, 09:17
I think USD 500 would be a decent buy with the lens included.

200.00 - Outstanding price
300.00 - still excellent price
500.00 - quite decent price
800.00 - too high
1000.00 - way too high

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Gem Singer
9-Jan-2012, 09:22
Dan95,

You can easily make your own baseboard, or mount the enlarger directly to a counter top. Not a problem.

However, the asking price is, at least, $500 too high.

Vaughn
9-Jan-2012, 09:24
Nathan seems pretty close on his figures, though I might drop the $500 catagory to $400, with $500 being "starting to get to be too high price".

Vaughn
9-Jan-2012, 09:25
I might have an extra baseboard around -- but it would be for pick-up only (far northwestern CA)

Dan95
9-Jan-2012, 09:30
I am based in Malaysia btw. Its hard to find large format enlargers.

Was about to buy a CLS501 ( wall mounted ) for 800USD. Then the seller's house was devastated by a flood. Enlarger was a goner.

Included :

Durst CLS 501 enlarger (Leica Grade in Enlarger) Made in Germany
4 x schneider lens
contact prints Rack ( like New)
timer
135mm, 6X7, 4X5 , Format are all included.

Dan95
9-Jan-2012, 09:32
*Nearly quit large format photography because I didnt have a LF enlarger. Thought of selling the stuff. Shooting film and not being able to enlarge is no fun :(

Currently have a Meopta Magnifax 4. They go for around 200-300USD here in Malaysia.

Vaughn
9-Jan-2012, 09:34
Ah...I was basing the price on USA soil. No clue on what would be a good deal in your location.

I'll suggest going bigger, then all you need is a light bulb for contact printing!;)

Vaughn

Dan95
9-Jan-2012, 09:37

Its this without the baseboard
+ additional schneider lens. Seller told me he paid more than 15k USD for the enlarger.

Dan95
9-Jan-2012, 09:40
Ah...I was basing the price on USA soil. No clue on what would be a good deal in your location.

I'll suggest going bigger, then all you need is a light bulb for contact printing!;)

Vaughn

Recent discontinuation of TXP 320 in 8x10 makes me avoid 8x10s. Since I exclusively shoot Tri X 400 in 135 and 120, TXP in 320..

I wonder whether i should try 8x10 HP5...

*WTB 8x10 Dorff :D

Roger Thoms
9-Jan-2012, 09:40
Way to high, did a little googling and looks like this set up has been for sale since 2009, maybe earlier. Btw were are you located? That would have some bearing on the price. In the US it is often hard to give 4x5 enlargers away.

Roger

Dan95
9-Jan-2012, 09:44
I gave the seller a rang, and he said the price has increased by 150USD because he's added a schneider 150 into the lot.

Located in Negeri Sembilan, Malaysia.

Sigh, 8x10 films cost a bomb!

Vaughn
9-Jan-2012, 10:40
Recent discontinuation of TXP 320 in 8x10 makes me avoid 8x10s. Since I exclusively shoot Tri X 400 in 135 and 120, TXP in 320..

I wonder whether i should try 8x10 HP5... *WTB 8x10 Dorff :D

HP5 is a nice film if one does not need to boost the contrast up very high (for some alt printing methods). And besides, it is too fast for using barrel lenses (no shutter) out in the open daylight. I prefer FP4.

In any case...How much 8x10 film could you buy with $1150? :D

bob carnie
9-Jan-2012, 11:35
I look at it differently,,, If you want to print and enjoy, this seems like a full kit.
Imagine if you were a golfer, not only would you need the outfit and clubs then the membership, and so on..Last time I heard golfing was pretty pricey.
Therefore a lifetime of enjoyment for $1000 is the deal of the century and would not worry too much about paying a bit more for a kit than what is a lower price in North America.

Rick A
9-Jan-2012, 12:48
I paid $100 for mine with a turret and three lenses, all sizes of neg carriers, a pile of assorted easels, and the rest of the dark room, including a Jobo CPE-2 and all its accessories. Yours sounds a tad high.

BradS
9-Jan-2012, 15:33

Jon

Yeah, I agree. Like 10x too much.

cowanw
9-Jan-2012, 15:41
How many are there in the USA? large numbers and low demand
How many are there in Malaysia?
How much do you want to save and not do any enlarging?
If it takes 10 years to get a 100 dollar enlarger, will you feel you have done well?
I think I am with Bob on this.

ic-racer
9-Jan-2012, 15:54
I cannot judge what things are worth in Malaysia. Looking at that enlarger my thoughts are as follows:
1) For that much money it should come with the Chromegatrol power supply, not the older one.
2) I'd want a baseboard. I once got a 4x5 Omega on a 'professionally made' baseboard and it was garbage. The head bounced around like a bobblehead doll. Is there a reason its not included?
3) I'm assuming the column slides freely and locks in place, the bellows is in good condition, the focus is smooth, the filters move in and out freely, none of the filters are cracked or missing, the fan does not vibrate or make funny noise, etc.
4) It comes with appropriate cords with ends that will plug that timer into the back of that power supply.

Dan95
10-Jan-2012, 03:37
An alternative is to get a Graflarger. Someone here offered me 175USD exc. shipping. I watched one on ebay some time ago, it ended at 150USD.

Ill try to lower the price to 700USD.

A friend paid 600USD for a Omega D2 + 3 lenses. He doesnt wanna sell!

Dan95
10-Jan-2012, 04:13
A friend paid 700usd for a durst 501 cls. Ive always been under the impression that dursts are better. He said he'd get the omega. Thinking of purchasing his 501.

bob carnie
10-Jan-2012, 07:01
They are both good, the Omega is a condenser enlarger unless you pop on a Cromega head then it is a dicrohic colour diffusion enlarger much like the Durst.
I prefer the Omega for split printing work, but I prefer the durst or deveere or Chromega if I am printing portraits.
My favourite enlarger in respect to plain out ease of operation is the Deveere with a drop table, I have a 11x14 which is just fantastic.
The Deveeres have a problem with the negative stage design, the Dursts are far away the best in that area.

Would the OP think twice about popping down $1000 +++ for a mac pro lap top or decent desk top unit????
When I hear people talk about the units being too much money I cringe, thinking how much I paid for my units new back in the 80's early 90's.

What I would say if there is any hesitation because of this price then the OP should not buy it as it will only become a boat anchor. You really have to want to make prints , and have a burning desire to get into the darkroom.

How many on this forum actually use and enlarger weekly? probably under 5% of the membership of this forum and I am probably being very generous. There is a reason why these units are so cheap in NA these days, Photoshop and Epson printer.

A friend paid 700usd for a durst 501 cls. Ive always been under the impression that dursts are better. He said he'd get the omega. Thinking of purchasing his 501.

bob carnie
10-Jan-2012, 07:05
Tim Morris at Jones in Morris in Toronto, one of the biggest mural operations in North America, threw out 5 - count them 5 2501Durst Enlargers fully equipped and in good condition, he sent me a jpeg of the Bin. His reasoning was that he paid top dollar for them and he did not want to be lowballed by anyone trying to buy them.
Kind of like putting them to rest after years of faithful service...
funny I kind of feel that way about some of my equipment.

Dan95
11-Jan-2012, 02:17
I am taking a look at the enlarger this weekend.

The D5 XL for sale is equipped with a dichroic head. All my papers are multigrade papers. though the pros seem to favour graded papers.

Should I wait a little longer till a condenser head enlarger comes up for grabs ?

cowanw
11-Jan-2012, 04:23
No.
You will enjoy the Dichroic head instead of filters.

Roger Thoms
11-Jan-2012, 08:18
How many are there in the USA? large numbers and low demand
How many are there in Malaysia?
How much do you want to save and not do any enlarging?
If it takes 10 years to get a 100 dollar enlarger, will you feel you have done well?
I think I am with Bob on this.

Basically my thoughts too.

Roger

Dan95
11-Jan-2012, 09:10
Harry Joseph at Photonet; A classic B&W enlarger head or Condenser head is supposedly able to to produce sharper prints which are more contrasty than the prints from a Dichroic Head

Vaughn
11-Jan-2012, 09:21
...All my papers are multigrade papers. though the pros seem to favour graded papers.

That use to be the case, but VC papers have improved and are available in much more variety now (compared to 20 years ago).

While it would be nice to have a Chromagacontrol unit with it, it looks to have the power stabilizer and a separate timer, so should be no problem.

No one complains that their color prints%2

bob carnie
11-Jan-2012, 09:25
Agree with this.
I am using diffusion and condenser together. I like them both.

That use to be the case, but VC papers have improved and are available in much more variety now (compared to 20 years ago).

While it would be nice to have a Chromagacontrol unit with it, it looks to have the power stabilizer and a separate timer, so should be no problem.

No one complains that their color prints from these units are soft and lacking contrast. The alignment of the enlarger will have far far more effect on sharpness than light source type!

Contrast is something one adjusts with the filters for VC papers -- so the "native" contrast of the enlarger is of little matter.

The trade off is slightly less problems with dust and scratches with diffusion light source over condenser.

Jon Shiu
11-Jan-2012, 09:41
Depends on your subject matter and film/development. Condenser may in some cases have more sense of brilliance and sharpness, but a diffusion may have gentler highlight tonality and separation.

It might be possible to buy a condenser head on ebay if you wanted to try it out on that Omega enlarger. Not sure what hardware would be needed to change it out.

Jon

Vaughn
11-Jan-2012, 09:48
Good point, Jon.

So he needs to buy both kinds of heads and switch them as needed (or get two enlargers!). Just joking!

Actually, it may take many years of printing and studying one's prints for one to be able to see the difference you are talking about.

Dan95
11-Jan-2012, 10:02
Speaking of contrast. If Id like more contrast, I can max out the magneta, and pop in a colour filter ?

Anyways looking at the enlarger this weekend. Then if the sale goes through getting a DIY baseboard.

Though I still need a 35mm mixing chamber? Comes with a 4x5 one. I shoot a lotta 35mm.

Vaughn
11-Jan-2012, 10:04
No mixing chambers to change with this head -- one size fits all. At least that is the way we have been using them for the past 25 years. We have the 3-lens turrets (50mm, 80mm and 135mm lenses) and the students can use any format up to 5x5 by just twirling the lens turret.

You can also flip the handle to "White light" -- that gets the color filters out of the path of the light -- then use the standard VC filters as you wish.

Dan95
11-Jan-2012, 10:17
No mixing chambers to change with this head -- one size fits all. At least that is the way we have been using them for the past 25 years. We have the 3-lens turrets (50mm, 80mm and 135mm lenses) and the students can use any format up to 5x5 by just twirling the lens turret.

You can also flip the handle to "White light" -- that gets the color filters out of the path of the light -- then use the standard VC filters as you wish.

Oh. Guess ill just have to increase the time then. Since the brightness will be quite low vs when using a 35mm mixing chamber.

Vaughn
11-Jan-2012, 10:24
Interesting, I would think that the time for a 4x5 neg will be the same time for a 35mm negative when using the 4x5 mixing chamber -- unless I am missing something. Which is quite possible!

Actually, I was unaware that this model even had different mixing boxes for different formats.

Vaughn

Dan95
12-Jan-2012, 00:34
Interesting, I would think that the time for a 4x5 neg will be the same time for a 35mm negative when using the 4x5 mixing chamber -- unless I am missing something. Which is quite possible!

Actually, I was unaware that this model even had different mixing boxes for different formats.

Vaughn

Im clueless! Been printing blindly on my Meopta Magnifax 4. Wasted many papers.

Anyway in the process of selling my summaron 2.8, graflex + aero ektar. Want to get the D5 XL + a Dorff :D

venchka
12-Jan-2012, 08:55
I got mine with a slightly different mix of odds & ends (2 lenses, Beseler analyzer, drums & motor base, etc.) for the cost of a round trip drive from Tyler to Wichita Falls, Texas plus lunch for the donor & his girlfriend.

OOPS! Should have read farther. Oh well, enjoy!

Wayne

ic-racer
12-Jan-2012, 18:16
Speaking of contrast. If Id like more contrast, I can max out the magneta, and pop in a colour filter ?

There is actually a slot under the diffuser box for acetate filters, however, unless part of the magenta filter has broken and fallen out, you should get results similar to the Ilford #5 with Ilford paper.

There are 2 mixing chambers (Light Multipliers, per the factory literature). One called "D-D" for 4x5 and smaller and another called "D-B" for medium format and smaller.

The extended range filtration capacity of your enlarger should be capable of handling any printing requirements. Should supplementary filters be required, however, the mixing chamber has a slot under its diffuser to accept 5"x5" CC or CP filters. (source Chromega D manual)

ic-racer
12-Jan-2012, 18:24
4x5 negative and 35mm negative will print at similar times if the 35mm negative is printed at the same magnification. Once you crank the head up to make the 35mm negative as big as the print from the 4x5 negative you printing times will go up. The D-B helps, but with B&W, longer times can be tolerated, so it is no big deal.

Dan95
13-Jan-2012, 03:09
A store in Malaysia is selling a D5 ( also ) but for 3500USD.

Someone gave me a rang regarding 8x10 enlargers. He has 3, 2 of em are on rollers.

Dan95
24-Feb-2012, 02:13
So I gave the seller a call, thought of going tomorrow.

And now he's telling me that its missing a slider, for the baseboard. I dont even know what it's for!

Dan95
24-Feb-2012, 08:27
He told me the slider is to move the baseboard when printing large ! And its an optional accessory. Guess I can do without it.