PDA

View Full Version : Block Island, R.I.

r.e.
6-Jan-2012, 20:12
Hi,

I'm thinking of going there for a weekend, maybe several weekends, over the next couple of months.

I'd appreciate info and tips from people who have spent time there.

Thanks

Walter Calahan
7-Jan-2012, 08:36
It's a lovely place, but beware of the wild killer rabbits. Someone released their pet bunnies years ago, and without nature predators, they've taken over part of the island. HA!

Only been there once for four days years ago to illustrate an article for Bon Appétit magazine. The lasting impression is its compact size. Great place to slow down if you're not on a magazine shooting schedule. HA!

I have the Bon Appétit tear sheet on this gallery. You'll have to scroll down a bit: http://www.foundfolios.com/Walter-Calahan/Commissioned-Work/L

Enjoy your stay.

kmack
7-Jan-2012, 11:02
I suggest using a bicycle to get around. So much to see in such a compact area. Spend some time at the bluffs.

r.e.
7-Jan-2012, 18:39
Thanks guys.

Walter, thoroughly enjoyed the Block Island photographs and the many other accomplished photographs on your site.

Kmack, not sure about a bicycle in January, but I'm going to speak with the the Block Island Chamber of Commerce/Tourist Authority re getting around the island. Might make sense to rent a car at (or rather near) Point Judith before getting on the ferry. There's car rental on the island, but not sure if it is available in the winter.

mervynyan
15-Feb-2012, 17:51
Been there in end of oct 2010 with hasselblad and leica. lovely and small island, stayed in waterfont hotel after the busy tourist season, the service is slow but places are so quite that you don't see people for miles.

Dr_Rocks
17-Apr-2012, 17:57
Hi there, new to this site, and LF photography in general, but I couldn't pass up an opportunity to talk about Block Island, I've spent a week or two there every year since I was a small child (so, 27 years or so). Anyway, there are lots of fantastic places to shoot, as something like 40% of the Island is undeveloped and in the hands of the Nature Conservancy. Lots of hiking trails, and the suggestion of getting around by bike is an excellent one. Some of the obvious places you will want to check out are the North and Southeast lighthouses. The southeast light is very accessible, you can drive right up. I would recommend walking down the bluffs nearby (there is a staircase). The North light is more of a hike, though still very easy. Walking out to the tip of the island along the beach is nice as well. The other main attractions to take pictures are in town and at the harbor, lots of old buildings and whatnot.

For something more off the beaten path (although there are still crowds in the summer, the best times to go are BEFORE memorial day and AFTER labor day), the interior parts of the island are great to check out. One area, known locally as "The Maze", is a large system of trails on the northeast side of the island above mansion beach. It pretty much IS a maze of unmarked trails, leading through swamps, thickets, forests, open fields, the tops of bluffs, ect. You will get lost, but getting out is very easy. Another nice area is Rodman's Hollow, a nice forested area in the south central part of the island. Additionally, the inlet to the great salt pond, past the coast guard station, is a great place to fish, watch boats come in, and get some great sunset photos. There should be a map of trails available, I would suggest using it as a pretty good guide.

Now I'm going to have to go dig up some old photos to show...

Have fun! It's one of my favorite places.

-Chris

Joshua Dunn
17-Apr-2012, 20:22
When I was there (a looong time ago) you could rent scooters if a bycycle wasn't to your liking.

-Joshua