PDA

View Full Version : Terminology: group-portrait vs group-photo

tadler
6-Jan-2012, 14:22
hi.
was debating with a photography curator friend this issue and we couldn't find a definite answer. is there is or was there a difference in using these two terms - group-photography and group-portrait. are there other terms that relate to making a photograph of a group posed together? is there a standard for using these terms? is there an acceptable/respectable source to read about terminology of photography genres? (i don't mean these websites with some terminology made mainly to sell adds or random incomplete wiki-pages).
thanks,
Tal

John Koehrer
6-Jan-2012, 16:12
group portrait=more expensive than group photo.
Aunt Mary's uncle can take a group photo with one of those things you buy at Best Buy. =)

Heroique
6-Jan-2012, 16:23
group portrait=more expensive than group photo.
Aunt Mary's Uncle can take a group photo with one of those things you buy at Best Buy. =)

Yes, a “group photo” is taken by Aunt Mary’s Uncle –

A “group portrait” includes Aunt Mary’s Uncle. ;^)

If Aunt Mary’s Uncle uses a tripod & self-timer, well, nevermind...

It’s perfectly natural that a curator, like your friend, would debate this; after all, they’re inclined to categorize things.

tadler
7-Jan-2012, 16:54
thanks. anyone else has a more scientific answer?

Ben Syverson
7-Jan-2012, 18:22
thanks. anyone else has a more scientific answer?
Yes, obviously. Refer to pages 487-493 of Systema Photographica: The Ontology of Photographic Genres, Tropes and Conventions, published by Yale University Press in 1981. It's out of print, but you if you call Yale, you should be able to get someone to send you a photocopy.

tadler
8-Jan-2012, 14:01
Yes, obviously. Refer to pages 487-493 of Systema Photographica: The Ontology of Photographic Genres, Tropes and Conventions, published by Yale University Press in 1981. It's out of print, but you if you call Yale, you should be able to get someone to send you a photocopy.

thanks Ben, that's much more in the direction I was looking for! I'll try to obtain the publication.

Ben Syverson
8-Jan-2012, 14:24
Unfortunately, I was being a jerk and pulling your leg, though that book sounds exactly like something I would have written if I had been 25 in 1981!

tadler
8-Jan-2012, 14:54
Unfortunately, I was being a jerk and pulling your leg, though that book sounds exactly like something I would have written if I had been 25 in 1981!

I wonder if the rest of your 1,125 posts in this forum as "helpful" as this one.
I guess I shouldn't expect educated, intelligent answers on this subject here.
Thanks anyway.

Ben Syverson
8-Jan-2012, 15:17
Hey sorry, I was just poking fun at your request for a "scientific" answer about an obviously subjective semantic question. There is no scientific taxonomy of photographic genres. There never will be. You will not get a "scientific" answer or objective ruling on any question of photographic terminology. We can't even agree on what "Large Format" constitutes, and anytime someone mentions "DOF," it sets off a 20 page flame war.

I'm not sure what exactly your question is, but if you can rephrase it in a way that would allow for an answer, I would be happy to help!

E. von Hoegh
10-Jan-2012, 10:56
Tadler, I'd say a "group portrait" is an at least semi-formal, posed arrangement while a "group photo" is just that, sort of "hey all you guys get under that tree and I'll get a shot of y'all".

DrTang
13-Jan-2012, 11:55
group portrait / group photo

'portrait' is posed / 'photo' could be a pix of a bunch of people..

but 'group photography' sounds to me like a bunch of people running around with cameras

tadler
17-Jan-2012, 10:44
ok, thanks for your answers. if i find something else relevant about the terminology i'll post it here.

Findingmyway4ever
19-Jan-2012, 01:21
Going with your subject:

Group-Portrait sounds more "formal", meaning, is something that would be coined/termed when it involves a special event such as a wedding.

Group-Photo sounds more like a bunch of friends gathering together and having a 3rd party take a photo of them. In other words, it can be for fun, it can be just as formal as the group portrait, but it is more generalized, so it doesn't have to be a "formal" type of photograph as a portait based one would.

unixrevolution
19-Jan-2012, 11:23
I would say:

A group photo is a picture depicting a group of people, not necessarily all facing the camera.

A group portrait is a group photo where every person in the photograph can be positively identified by their facial features.

All Group portraits are group photos, but not the other way around. The Group Portrait may be more formally posed, but it's not a necessity.

I base this on the requirements a photo has to meet to require a model release form.

Oh, and to the OP: We all take it in turns to play the clown around here. Just cause Ben hooked you, don't take it personally. He was just following the 3 rules of the internet:

1. Be Helpful
2. If you can't be helpful, be funny.
3. If you can't be helpful or funny, be unhelpful.

SMBooth
19-Jan-2012, 13:54
LOL @ Ben, I got it.