PDA

View Full Version : blue streaks on 4x5 B&W negative???

stradibarrius
5-Jan-2012, 18:07
Processing some TriX 320 in HC110. Using the Taco method in a Patterson type tank, when the negatives came out they had a blue stripe on them. They negatives looked great other than the tiny blue stripe that seemed to correspond with the rubber band. hppened?a

Any ideas what

Jan Pedersen
5-Jan-2012, 18:18
Perhaps insufficient fixing? wash the negatives a few minutes, refix in a tray and then wash as normal.

Ari
5-Jan-2012, 18:51
Maybe some dye from the rubber band leeched into the film.

stradibarrius
6-Jan-2012, 07:43
The rubber bands were just translucent "honey" colored rubberbands??? I guess it is possible that the chemistry had some reaction with the rubber.
Will try the re-fix suggestion. The fixer was a bit used.

E. von Hoegh
6-Jan-2012, 08:10
Processing some TriX 320 in HC110. Using the Taco method in a Patterson type tank, when the negatives came out they had a blue stripe on them. They negatives looked great other than the tiny blue stripe that seemed to correspond with the rubber band. hppened?a

Any ideas what

The part covered by the rubberband didn't get fixed enough to remove the antihalation coating.

konakoa
6-Jan-2012, 10:47
+1 to E. von Hoegh above. I've processed hundreds and hundreds of sheets with the taco and rubber band method. The stripe is very likely where the band kept the anti-halation dye from washing off. After developing and fixing, remove the rubber bands for the wash. Make sure water gets to both sides of the film. That'll get it.

johnielvis
6-Jan-2012, 11:04
best to avoid all together--that strip DONt come off sometimes--particulary if you are reversing with dichromate bleach---if you dont' get that dye out, the bleach will cause it to be permanantly there.

it's hard to wash out--best to not use a rubber band on the image area (taco method) at all---I've had all kinds of problems with tubes with this too....LONG presoak is needed to get the water back there to penetrate and get rid ofthe dyes---this is a huge problem more so with ilford I've noticed---this particularly affects BIG sheets in tubes---where there's a long distance for the water to travel to get behind the film....smaller sheets not so much as long as there's a way to get water back there...roll film you have full liquid contact in a reel, so it's not an issue