PDA

View Full Version : check out my new lens cap

eddie
5-Jan-2012, 17:15
my good buddy old crow made this for me. it is awesome. a leather cap finished with stingray.

this is it on my viogtlander 7a.

thanks ole crow buddy!

eddie

domaz
5-Jan-2012, 18:18
As in "I come home last night, full a fifth of Ole Crow..." ?

cdholden
5-Jan-2012, 18:21
Very cool!

goamules
5-Jan-2012, 19:19
I said it on the other forum, but that's one nice lenscap! Back when it was safe to go into Mexico, there was a period when stingray cowboy boots were popular. I wish I'd gotten a pair. Hey...maybe two lenscaps can be made into some?

Nathan Potter
5-Jan-2012, 19:45
No. Some can be made into two lens caps. :D

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Jim Galli
5-Jan-2012, 23:14
Sweet! I want one!

Steven Tribe
6-Jan-2012, 04:18
This is what 200 year old Shagreen looks like.
The casing of a Fraunhofer telescope (my favorite by far) from 1820's Munich.
I have the feeling that Ray skin is on the CITES list!
But it isn't - yet.
But on closer examination, I don't think mine is Shagreen - just super thin animal leather - too late to delete now!

eddie
6-Jan-2012, 05:28
thanks all. i mis-typed.

it is a voigtlander 7b! sorry

tuant
6-Jan-2012, 07:00
thanks all. i mis-typed.

it is a voigtlander 7b! sorry

Never mind the lens cap, how much is your 7B? I know they sold this for $165 back in 1890:D :D

Dominique Cesari
6-Jan-2012, 07:15
The stingray touch is really cute. A matching pouch for Grafmatics could be great.

Louis Pacilla
7-Jan-2012, 17:00
Man brother Ed That's one lovely cap.

Beat's the shit out of the ill fitting coffee can lid which has been in use.:)

Tim Layton
8-Jan-2012, 08:25
my good buddy old crow made this for me. it is awesome. a leather cap finished with stingray.

this is it on my viogtlander 7a.

thanks ole crow buddy!

eddie

Eddie, that is awesome... I have been thinking about how to make my own lens caps and this is inspiration.

OldCrow
11-Jan-2012, 07:58
I am glad you like it Sir Gunks. If anyone seriously wants to buy one in exotic leathers or tooled finish, let me know. I am laid up for a bit with surgery, so I need something to do other then stare at this screen all day.

Seele
12-Jan-2012, 09:37
Over the years I have made a fair few lens caps using the old-fashioned way of laminating paper, but have to settle on synthetic materials for the outer cover. Ideally it should be one which is porous where moisture of the adhesive can escape through it. I have not worked with stingray but my tannery can supply all sorts of exotic leathers, however, having experiences as a bookbinder I do feel a bit apprehensive with leathers which are made to be totally non-porous though.

cowanw
12-Jan-2012, 09:56
I use old leather coats from The Amity/ Salvation army stores Etc.
So far each coat has cost 5 dollars and yielded 6 big cap covers and numerous smaller ones.

eddie
12-Jan-2012, 10:12
however, having experiences as a bookbinder I do feel a bit apprehensive with leathers which are made to be totally non-porous though.

how about a couple (several) pinholes in it? seems like that would solve the problem....

OldCrow
12-Jan-2012, 13:04
There is no adhesive in the lens caps I make to layer it. They are made from straight leather. No cardboard or anything else. No layering. Just very thick leather and a century old shoe makers trick to keep it together. I do not seal the leather leather with anything unnatural, so the leather is allowed to still breathe.

If you look back at the lens caps made in the 1850's you will find that many were wet formed straight leather. If you cure the leather properly and keep it clean and once in a while use leather lotion on it, they will last forever.

Using jackets would not work for the method that I use. The leather I use is almost saddle leather. Study as all get out and wont split or delaminate over time, since there are no layers glued together.

R-H-
15-Jan-2012, 12:47
That is cool. I hope handcrafting skills will live forever.