PDA

View Full Version : 4x5 printing difficulties (LF noob)

ajmartinez
4-Jan-2012, 12:16
So, I have a few negatives to enlarge now and was all set to jump into the darkroom to get that done but I ran into a bit of a problem. My exposure times with the enlarger set for a 4x5" negative are less than 2 seconds at f/22 on a 135mm Rodenstock Omegaron. If any dodging or burning is to happen, it certainly isn't going to happen like this.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7160/6630094301_c49d1a11f2_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/macktruckturner/6630094301/)
test print from a test shot (http://www.flickr.com/photos/macktruckturner/6630094301/) by Anthony J. Martinez (http://www.flickr.com/people/macktruckturner/), on Flickr

This example comes from a pinhole camera, but the negative doesn't strike me as anything that ought to be difficult to print. At first, I attempted to make contact prints but I gave up after four sheets of pure black, and three sheets of pure white. In the actual enlarger (Beseler CB7), adjusted to shoot just about a 1:1 image of the negative on the paper, this is 1.5s at f/22 with a #2.5 Ilford MG contrast filter.

I'm assuming that since the light source, and the lens itself, are very close to the paper that's a big part of of the reason my exposure times are so incredibly short. The enlarger itself has the ability to adjust how much juice goes to the lamp, but the gauge doesn't work so I'm only able to consistently use it at full power or minimum power. That's one avenue I may take to see if I can manage exposure times long enough to dodge/burn if needed. My other option, which I know nothing about, is the cold light (if that's what it's called) I have for the enlarger.

Can any of you large format ninjas give me some course of action, or guidance, as to how I might want to approach printing my 4x5 negatives? I feel like the smaller formats are pretty clear, but I was by no means expecting the 4x5 negatives to throw this large of a monkey wrench at me.

ROL
4-Jan-2012, 12:34
I assume projection aperture is reduced all the way for your lens. Try a slower lens (longer are generally slower).
Indeed cold lights are slower (:mad:) than incandescent point sources.
Got any neutral density filters (to make)?
Print on slower papers. Fiber is generally slower than RC, graded generally slower than VC. FOMABrom is pretty slow.

Brian Ellis
4-Jan-2012, 13:19
Isn't the Beseler CB7 a medium format enlarger, not a 4x5? I don't know anything about medium format enlargers but it sounds like using an enlarger designed for medium format with large format film requires you to have the lens too close to the paper for the enlarger's light source.

There's surely some workaround but if you're going to be printing many 4x5 negatives I would think you should have a 4x5 enlarger.

Heroique
4-Jan-2012, 13:47
The CB7 is a very sophisticated & luxurious 4x5 enlarger.

I’ve seen one, but I’ve never operated one.

I imagine it would be a pleasure!

To find a cold light head, I think you have to go to another manufacturer.

Brian C. Miller
4-Jan-2012, 13:49
Beseler CB7 (http://www.glennview.com/beseler.htm), large format 4x5 enlarger

Anthony, what is the printing time if the enlarger is set for making an 8x10? Also, what is the wattage of the bulb in the condenser head? Someone may have replaced it with a higher wattage bulb.

Larry Gebhardt
4-Jan-2012, 14:44
If you can turn the power down do that. It doesn't really matter if the gauge works as long as it is consistent from print to print. You will ideally want to adjust the time individually for each print.

Also, how thin is your negative? It looks possibly a bit under exposed (thin) so that may also increase the time if you expose more.

I frequently use a 2 stop neutral density filter to keep my time long enough and the aperture at f/8.

Finally, you could also go to a slower paper, such as a warm tone. I think Ilford WT is slower than MG IV. I know the old Forte Poly Warm Tone was several stops slower than anything else I have used.

jp
4-Jan-2012, 15:20
my cb7 (nice enlarger) has a dichroic color head and is much slower. Rarely do I have exposures under 10-15s. Perhaps too bright a bulb is installed in the head on yours.

The negative I can't see. Your print looks like the negative might be a little thin for a 2.5 grade print. A more dense negative would of course take more time to print.

John Koehrer
4-Jan-2012, 16:55
You're saying the enlarger was set to give 1:1? What size is the print?
And why isn't the head higher and used with a longer lens?
Even with contact prints the head doesn't have to be right on top of the negative. If you have ever seen Weston's light source, it's a bare bulb about three feet over the (slow) paper. Projection paper is much faster.

ic-racer
4-Jan-2012, 21:05
Just turn the intensity down. Does the Resistrol not work?

Cor
5-Jan-2012, 03:28
Maybe it's just the scan, but the paper looks severely fogged judging the off-white/light gray borders, might increase speed?

very weak blacks too..

Best,

Cor