PDA

View Full Version : Conley Safety Shuter 5x7 help

renes
4-Jan-2012, 01:53
I bought Conley Anastigmat Series V 7" lens in non-original shutter - someone has already fitted the celfs to another newer shutter but it's broken - and I want to put them to a modern shutter. I am not sure if the lens spacing was made properly in the broken shutter - it's 26,65mm barrel distance (with lenses unscrewed from the shutter) from the shutter's edege of front lens mount to the rear lens mount. I need to confirm if it's proper or not. Conley Anastigmat Series V 5x7 lens was usually mounted in Conley Safety Shuter 5x7 (No.3?).

Hope someone has this shutter and can measure for me the spacing of the barrel lenses mounting with digital caliper.

renes
6-Jan-2012, 08:12
Nobody owns Conley Safety Shuter with 5x7 lens?

Paul Fitzgerald
6-Jan-2012, 11:41
Conley shutters (http://conleycameras.sevenels.net/shutters.html)

Renes, most were re-badged Wollensaks and most had front and rear tubes for spacing. Wollensak made shutters and lens but were not glass manufacturers so the bought their raw stock and neded to change curves and spacing per batch. Unless you can find that original shutter w/tubes you'll need to check the spacing manually.

Good luck with it.

renes
6-Jan-2012, 12:43
Thanks Paul.
Does it mean that Conley Safety shuter intended for 5x7 lens was equiped with different sized of tubes (for different 5x7 design lenses)?

A track for me is spacing in my broken shutter - it's 26,65mm (with cells unscrewed from the shutter). There is one tube (ring) at rear used for spacing. If I could in any way confirm it...

Tin Can
3-Feb-2020, 12:24
Very old thread, but I just got an intact and complete lens with shutter that OP wanted measurements from

Rene, Hello!

Fabianweso
16-Apr-2021, 21:11
Hi, I have the Conley 7'' lens and it's on a safety shutter,y question is if the lens is rated at f6.8, how does the apperture scale on the shutter work as it can go below that of the lens, up to f2.8.

Chauncey Walden
17-Apr-2021, 11:31
The shutter is marked in the Uniform System "US" numbers. Here's the comparison with modern numbers: http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/F-stop