PDA

View Full Version : Polaroid 55.... Found an old box

John Conway
2-Jan-2012, 13:26
Today while cleaning out a closet I found a box of 55 Polaroid. Only a few sheets are missing, but the little tube of clear sealer is missing. I am looking forward to making some images but the prints need to be coated. I am wondering what else I can coat the prints with.

Brian C. Miller
2-Jan-2012, 13:27
You could always use it for the negatives. Just use hypo-clear and wash it well.

Vaughn
2-Jan-2012, 13:44
The uncoated prints age nicely if left uncoated. A bunch of fade on the lighter values and a bronzing of the darker tones...pretty cool, actually.

But the more common use of Type 55 was to get a printable negative. Very good quality, smooth tones, fine grain, and good contrast (with which one had little control). Reputed to be Panatomic-X.

But one needed to rate the film at 25 ASA -- a stop slower than what a good instant print needed. So to get a well exposed negative, one ended up with a light (over-exposed) print. If the chemical pods are toast, I suppose one could strip the film out of the packet and find a way to expose it and process it in standard developers, etc.

Heroique
2-Jan-2012, 14:58
Unless you have a specific need to shoot for prints, I’d shoot for the negative instead. Maybe you can try one negative as an experiment, developing it with a Polaroid holder (if you have one), or with traditional development.

My most beautiful b/w negatives are Type 55 – and some of these are my favorite compositions, too.

Like Vaughn, I use ISO 25 for the negative. Be sure to anticipate “contrasty” results.

Frank Petronio
2-Jan-2012, 15:51
I'd sell it for $25 per sheet on ebay. Fools will buy it, they buy Impossible Project film.

I will check to see if the couple coaters I saved have dried out and let you know. How many 545s you want? The other guys are right though, making exposures for negs results in blown out prints, it's either or. Polaroid sold more film that way.

brian mcweeney
2-Jan-2012, 15:56
Have you tried any of the sheets? My old Polaroids just dried up.

sully75
2-Jan-2012, 16:15
yeah sell it before you realize it's worthless. Then you have no guilt.

Frank Petronio
2-Jan-2012, 16:22
On your eBay listing you don't write much of a description, just say you don't know much about photography.

Steve Smith
2-Jan-2012, 16:36
Reputed to be Panatomic-X.

I think it was originally but later, Polaroid coated their own film.

Steve.

Vaughn
2-Jan-2012, 17:35
I think it was originally but later, Polaroid coated their own film.Steve.

Yes, that happened about when Polaroid sued Kodak over patent infringements when Kodak introduced their own instant film system. Coincidence? I think not! :D

BrianShaw
2-Jan-2012, 20:15
On your eBay listing you don't write much of a description, just say you don't know much about photography.

Offer it here. Say the same thing. Ask an unrealistic amoung to money for it. Insist on getting payed with paypal as a gift. :D

Renato Tonelli
2-Jan-2012, 20:44
Offer it here. Say the same thing. Ask an unrealistic amoung to money for it. Insist on getting payed with paypal as a gift. :D

What an excellent idea.:D I have quite a stash of it...:rolleyes:

Vaughn
3-Jan-2012, 00:05
Another possibility is to solarize the negs...

Peeling the packet apart early and hitting it with a flash up close, then after a short bit, clear the negative. I have had limited success and have gone thru a lot of film experimenting. The Type 55 was out-dated in the late 1980's and early 1990's, kept cool or in the fridge. The developer pod seems to be a little weak with age, but I am lucky getting anything.

Artichoke Flowers and Rhodendron Flowers

Both:
Type 55, solarized
Calumet 4x5 w/ 180mm Caltar II-N.
from contact prints of the negatives -- somewhat subtle solarization

Frank Petronio
3-Jan-2012, 05:19

Peeling the packet apart early and hitting it with a flash up close, then after a short bit, clear the negative. I have had limited success and have gone thru a lot of film experimenting. The Type 55 was out-dated in the late 1980's and early 1990's, kept cool or in the fridge. The developer pod seems to be a little weak with age, but I am lucky getting anything.

Both:
Type 55, solarized

Your goofing around with it looks like mighty fine art to me!

Heroique
3-Jan-2012, 10:15
Artichoke Flowers and Rhododendron Flowers.

These solarized flowers should also be in the “Flowers Anyone” thread.

They could even be in a new “Solarization” thread!

Vaughn
3-Jan-2012, 12:57
Thanks. Just checked the fridge. I have 3 boxes dated 1995 and a box that is not dated but is an older package graphics type (these are just the inner boxes). I have a few sheets in partial boxes floating around somewhere. Enough to have some more fun when the Rhodies flower again...though some low tide work would be fun, too.

sully75
3-Jan-2012, 13:14

Personally I think that's dicky. But I know I take a hit for it.

John Conway
3-Jan-2012, 14:15
I was a big fan of the 55 polaroid film. I used it all the time, and miss it so much. But I never really experimented with it, always went by polaroid instructions. I had the 8x10 set up as well with the processor. I found some of the 8x10 film as well. Since I still have the 4x5 holder, I will play with the film. Maybe I'll sell the 8x10 sheets.

Frank Petronio
3-Jan-2012, 14:18
Personally I think that's dicky. But I know I take a hit for it.

I was being sarcastic, not serious.

Pleading ignorance so they don't have to take responsibility in the sale is prevalent with photo gear sold on eBay. Like the people who advertise camera cases but always forget to include the measurements and dimensions... you see this repeated over and over yet they never learn, and it is only common sense after all, so you figure it must be intentional. So many willfully "ignorant" people....

John Conway
3-Jan-2012, 14:18
I really like the solarized images posted by Vaughn.

Justin Cormack
3-Jan-2012, 14:31

Both:
Type 55, solarized

Antonio Gesmundo did that with flowers on type 55 - I have one of his prints

http://public.fotki.com/hook402/art/photographers/antoniogesmundoital/

BrianShaw
3-Jan-2012, 14:32
I was being sarcastic, not serious.

Me too... although I'm known to be "dicky" at times, but this wasn't one of them. I immediately recognized Frank's sarcasm and was taking advantage of it.

nonuniform
3-Jan-2012, 14:38
I have 5 boxes of 55 in the fridge, I keep waiting for the right project. Argh. I should just shoot the stuff for the negs and be done with it!

Vaughn
3-Jan-2012, 21:41
Antonio Gesmundo did that with flowers on type 55 - I have one of his prints

No, I am not breaking new ground here. Gandolfi has been using the technique, too.

http://www.emilschildt.com/OTHER%20STUFF%20-%20KALA8.htm

Vaughn

nonuniform
5-Jan-2012, 14:51
Slightly hijacking this thread.....

I haven't shot 55 in years (really, years). I've done some searching, but can't seem to find anyone that has a definitive process for clearing and fixing the negatives.

Hypo-clear or 18% sodium sulfite? time?

Hardening fix? type, time?

Thanks!

This thread has convinced me to shoot the type 55 that I have!

BrianShaw
5-Jan-2012, 15:38
You've seen this, right?

http://store.polaroid.com/media/document/55fds.pdf

BrianShaw
5-Jan-2012, 15:39
I always cleared per those instructions and never hardened... but have scratched a couple because of that.

Vaughn
5-Jan-2012, 16:02
Kodak HCA works well (contains Sodium Sulfite, too)

I have never used fix after clearing.

nonuniform
5-Jan-2012, 16:52
You've seen this, right?

http://store.polaroid.com/media/document/55fds.pdf

No! That didn't come up in my googling. Thanks.

So, no fix? I seem to recall fixing my negatives. I haven't done this since the 80's.

tadler
5-Jan-2012, 16:56
i'm still waiting for this guy to launch the new T55 film:
http://new55project.blogspot.com/

Vaughn
5-Jan-2012, 17:11
The fixing is only to harden the emulsion for easier handling while wet. It will eventually harden on it own.

goamules
5-Jan-2012, 17:31
I got some 10 year old, always refrigerated type 72 I believe. It only works halfway, dried out. By that I mean every picture has about half an image, the rest white. I'd just spend a weekend and shoot all of it on the off chance some works out. The longer you keep it, the less chance it will be worth anything.