PDA

View Full Version : 6x9 cm LF camera worth getting for following reasons?

tearcut1
1-Jan-2012, 17:28
Hi,

I would like to know if such a medium/large format camera that takse 6x9 cm roll is worth getting for the following reasons:

To enlarge small stock images, and other illustrations

To take enlarged and detailed pictures of illustrations and paintings

To take good quality detailed images for random subjects like textures, backgrounds and small objects

For detailed photographic darkroom effects and negative/transparency painting and masking

Also it is possible to switch the holder to other sizes or single sheet? Do they make transparency for this format as well?

Its a $160

Dan Fromm
1-Jan-2012, 17:39
Don't be so cute. Take the risk that one of us will find the camera you're asking about and snatch it away from you. Tell us what you're looking at.

All that you've described can be done with 35 mm still as well as with larger formats. How good the camera you're interested in is for any of those tasks depends on the camera. Not all 2x3 cameras are alike.

All that said, you're really asking about things that are done after the film's been shot. I shoot 2x3 with press cameras (Graphics) and a real view camera (Cambo SC1). I don't shoot 4x5. IMO, 4x5 is better suited to the darkroom work you have in mind than 2x3.

tearcut1
1-Jan-2012, 17:44
I'm interested in blowing up to large sizes and playing with the negative.

You can't play with 35mm, you lose quality once its 6x9. at least for a lot of my slides, and you get much better detail with 6x9

Dan Fromm
1-Jan-2012, 19:04
I'm interested in blowing up to large sizes and playing with the negative.

If you want to make large prints (is that what "blowing up to large sizes" means?), starting with a large negative helps. How large do you want to print? I ask because film's enlargement limit, IMO, is around 10x, and that with meticulous technique. 2x3 can't be printed larger than 22.5" x 32.5". Is that big enough for you?

What does "play around with the negative" mean?

What does any of this have to do with a camera?

Go 4x5. Go 8x10. Go larger. Turn yourself into something like Clyde Butcher.

I shoot 2x3 with some very flexible cameras and I'm not sure that its what you want.

What camera are you looking at? What comes with it?

Wayne Crider
1-Jan-2012, 21:57
Hi,

I would like to know if such a medium/large format camera that takse 6x9 cm roll is worth getting for the following reasons:

To enlarge small stock images,(you need a rackable bellows and macro lens to enlarge a negative/pos) and other illustrations

To take enlarged and detailed pictures of illustrations and paintings (probably every picture you take will be smaller then the subject matter; You will then have to enlarge the negative.)

To take good quality detailed images for random subjects like textures, backgrounds and small objects (should work depending on needs)

For detailed photographic darkroom effects and negative/transparency painting (no) and masking (tougher)

Also it is possible to switch the holder to other sizes or single sheet? (no, unless your using a camera that takes interchangeable rollfilm backsbacks) Do they make transparency for this format as well? (have you even looked at available film sizes?)

Its a $160

There's a difference in shooting a roll film 6x9 camera and using a roll film back on a large format camera. The large format camera will have much more capability, especially in macro shots and taking different focal length lenses.

ic-racer
1-Jan-2012, 22:30
You are referring to a 6x9 enlarger, right?

If not, then I'd go with a 4x5 monorail for document and negative duplication. The film will be flatter. 6x9 is a great format but it is limited by the tendency of the negative to buckle just when you need sub-micrometer flatness.