PDA

View Full Version : Experience with Vitax focusing....

kissssss
1-Jan-2012, 13:38
Hi everyone, I don't know how to get right focusing with my Vitax. I turned the soft control knob to 0, focused on the object and turned the knob to 5 to get the most softness...but...it seemed to be out of focus and I could focus again...why? which is right focusing?

Truong

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
1-Jan-2012, 14:50
The Vitax doesn't really produce a soft focus image with halation or bleeding highlights like a traditional soft focus lens, but rather a "defocused" or slightly unfocused appearance. The purpose of the adjustment as described by Dallmeyer in his original patent was to increase the apparent depth of field by introducing optical aberrations. This is why you need to focus with defocus adjustment and aperture set to how you will photograph.

Armin Seeholzer
1-Jan-2012, 16:18
This is why you need to focus with defocus adjustment and aperture set to how you will photograph.

Same also for the Universal Heliar, the master lens!

Cheers Armin

Tim Layton
1-Jan-2012, 18:36
Hi everyone, I don't know how to get right focusing with my Vitax. I turned the soft control knob to 0, focused on the object and turned the knob to 5 to get the most softness...but...it seemed to be out of focus and I could focus again...why? which is right focusing?

Truong

I have personally found on my lens the control knob made no visible difference in my prints. I've got the 16" F3.8.

Tim

kissssss
2-Jan-2012, 16:48
@Jason: Thank a lot :)
@Tim: I get 16", too. But, by the same aperture, you mean that the adjustment 0 and 5 get same products? I should try my lens right now.

Actually, I took it because of Jason's comment. It's good for collodion than a Verito's soft effect. All of them makes good portraits by different effects.

Truong