PDA

View Full Version : Buying my first LF

Martin_Johansen
1-Jan-2012, 10:01
Hi everybody, and happy new year!

i want to buy a camera, right now i am using a Sinar we have at school, and i like that one (only one i have used) but i think its a bit of a hassle to pack up and down.

So i am thinking of a field camera instead (pros cons?)

This is the cameras i´ve found for sale, these are all in Norway, so easy for me to look at before buying.

Linhof Technika V - price $1300
Crown Graphic 4x5 - price not said
Graflex Super Graphic - $330
Sinar Norma 4x5 - price not said
Sinar F - Price not said.

I need some help to find out whats the right prices for these so i dont overprice etc. and also which camera gives the best pictures.

I do mostly fashion-aesthetic photography, nudes but i also cover exhibitions for galleries where i use a wideangle lens.

Thanks for any help

Best Regards

Martin Johansen

IanG
1-Jan-2012, 10:11
The choice is down to personal preferance but of those I'd get a Super Graphic. I do in fact use one and it's quite versatile.

Ian

John Kasaian
1-Jan-2012, 10:31
The Graphics and the Linhof would be the quickest to get into action, and are hand holdable to offer even more flexibility. The Sinars would be my choice if I were going to spend a lot of time in the studio. For my own style of shooting (landscapes & old rusty stuff) I'd choose the Linhof or the Super Graphic.
John Sexton and Roman Loranc shoot Linhof Technikas---they are nice if you have the money, but the Super Graphic is an excellent camera as well plus quite a bit lighter in wieght if you foresee any serious hiking involved.

BrianShaw
1-Jan-2012, 10:38
The choice is down to personal preferance but of those I'd get a Super Graphic. I do in fact use one and it's quite versatile.

Ian

ditto.

banjo
1-Jan-2012, 11:36
OK for what you get for the Price the Graflex Super Graphic // or
Graflex Super speed Graphic its the same camera just the lens is Different
I have Crowns, speed, Super Graphics, Linhof Technika III 6x9 and
Horseman VH 6x9
what I like BEST is the Horseman BUT for Price its the Super Graphic !!

ashlee52
3-Jan-2012, 10:55
The Sinars are now super cheap. Just check EBay for prices.

Absolutely everything is easier to do with a Sinar than a field camera... except getting the camera to where you want to take the picture. (Or hand holding if you would actually do that.)

A Sinar can be packed into a photo backpack fully assembled (12" rail along the bottom of the pack). http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=55101&page=2

But since you have a Sinar you can use, trying out a Graphic might be fun. Ultimately all the cameras are so cheap now that you aren't going to lose much if you try one and decide to sell it later. We seem to have a steady stream of new people coming back to film and LF.

Rick A
3-Jan-2012, 12:44
Shucks, I'll sell you a Calumet cc-400 in a hard case for $125 plus shipping if you want an inexpensive first 4x5. These are great starter cameras, and I even know pros who've used them their entire career.

Ivan J. Eberle
3-Jan-2012, 13:06
The Super Graphic is a somwhat less versatile than the other cameras mentioned for its not having any wide angle focusing on the inner rail, otherwise a good choice.

Frank Petronio
3-Jan-2012, 14:35
Buy the Crown and the Sinar Norma and have two very different types of cameras, or get the Tech V and have one very versatile camera.

John Kasaian
3-Jan-2012, 14:39
Shucks, I'll sell you a Calumet cc-400 in a hard case for $125 plus shipping if you want an inexpensive first 4x5. These are great starter cameras, and I even know pros who've used them their entire career.

Good deal! Nothing much can break on a Cakumet 400

Jim Jones
3-Jan-2012, 16:31
Good deal! Nothing much can break on a Cakumet 400

But they can bend. Mine may have been dropped by the previous owner. The rear standard platform is twisted a bit so the back doesn't detent parallel to the front standard. It will be easy enough to work around or to fix, though. The Calumet is one of many older and still very useful monorails.

Jim Andrada
6-Jan-2012, 00:54
Second the Graphics. And yes, my Crown is better for really short lenses than the Super because for some dorky reason the inner rails indeed don't move. As was pointed out above. I think someone fell in love with the cutesy way the camera is locked closed by rolling the focusing track into the space above the closed camera bed. I rather prefer to use my Crown handheld and the Super on a tripod. The Big advantage of the Super (at least to me) is that you can easily remove the ground glass cover assembly and get your face right up o the ground glass. Oh yeah - the Super has a bit of front forward tilt and a rotating back. But I love the Crown for handheld shots.

SpeedGraphicMan
7-Jan-2012, 13:47
I would recommend the Speed Graphic 1000% :)