PDA

View Full Version : Schneider Symmar Triple Convertible 210/325/405

The Dread Pirate Robins
31-Dec-2011, 18:39
I recently picked up a Schneider Symmar Triple Convertible lens with the normal focal length being 210 mm and the converted lengths being 325 mm and 405 mm. The lens is made up of a front and rear element with non-interchangeable threads, both mounted in a Compur shutter. What I don't know is how exactly to convert it, and I haven't been able to find anyone else asking this same question about this lens here or anywhere on the interwebs.

It seems that one removes just the front element for one of the alternate focal lengths and removes the other for the other. I tested it yesterday doing this on a distant object and that seemed to be what made sense. but I do not know for sure.

Does anyone know these lenses?

Thanks,
Adam

Paul Ewins
31-Dec-2011, 22:42
That is exactly what you do. Some models have all three focal lengths marked on the aperture scale while others require you to make your own calculations for the converted focal lengths.

John Kasaian
1-Jan-2012, 00:21
Nice find!

The Dread Pirate Robins
2-Jan-2012, 18:58
It was sitting on the shelf at the camera shop down the street begging to be put back into service.

Thanks for he Camera Eccentric tip-off. I go there so often for info on Graflex products that I forget they have other information, too.

E. von Hoegh
3-Jan-2012, 07:54
Nice find!

Nice find indeed. That's a Dagor type, the least common of the convertible Symmars.